Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancients I need help with

I was told a couple of them are Augustus when I bought them but since I have been told otherwise. I bought these because they appealed to me. They are not for most collectors. I would like to know what I have. TYIA.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2017 7:35PM

It's important to know that 'Augustus' went from being a name for a specific emperor to simply being a usual part of the emperor's many titles. So if you can pick out 'AVG' in an inscription, it doesn't especially denote the first man who bore the name 'Augustus', who died in 14 A.D. Portraits are very important clues too, as the portraits were often distinctive and easy to individually recognize, from around 30 B.C. until about 275 A.D. Titus Flavius did a great job on these, BTW!

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you TitusFlavius, very helpful. Thank you, also, BillDugan. When I bought the "Augustus", I was assured they were the 1st Augustus. It was just a whim with no homework involved. Oops!

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

You're welcome, HaC! Now if I could just figure out that last one...

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Okay, I have a guess for the last coin! Going off the left facing portrait, the small and crowded obverse lettering, and the plain "S C" on the reverse, I'm going to guess Germanicus Caesar. He was clearly the intended successor during the reign of Emperor Tiberius (r. 14 - 37 AD), but died under mysterious circumstances while on campaign in the East in 19 AD. This coin was minted posthumously by his son, and Tiberius' eventual successor, Caligula (r. 37 - 41 AD).

Actually, now that I compare it to some other examples, the S C looks a little larger than is typical on the issues of Caligula. Another possibility is that this is a later restoration of the Germanicus types issued by the Flavian emperors Titus (r. 79 - 81 AD), and Domitian (r. 81 - 96 AD). Both of them included Germanicus in their series of bronze coins restoring designs from the preceding Julio-Claudian dynasty. Either way, it's an interesting old coin!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Is that a counterstamp on the fourth coin?! If so, what can you tell us about it?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.