Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Owls? You want owls?

Forgot I had these in my honeymoon pics. Before you ask the muesum was across the street and we ran out of cigerettes. Ok, we don't smoke but I for sure needed a break.

mark

o

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics, would take them all! B)

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just there a few weeks ago! Beautiful museum and a great array of ancients, including some neat hoard displays.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 6:18AM

Awesome!

Those little "claws" holding the coins are kind of bizarre, though. Remind me of those little plastic dental flossers, or some kind of bizarre golf-ball recovery tools.

I am quite envious of your visit there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool coins

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I want one now!

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Awesome!

Those little "claws" holding the coins are kind of bizarre, though. Remind me of those little plastic dental flossers, or some kind of bizarre golf-ball recovery tools.

A single picture doesn't quite capture the intent: it's actually a **rotating ** display for the Athens dekadrachm they have. It allows both sides to be shown, at the correct die axis alignment, just by waiting a handful of seconds for the coin to flip back over.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 4:08PM

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@SmEagle1795 said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Awesome!

A single picture doesn't quite capture the intent: it's actually a **rotating ** display for the Athens dekadrachm they have. It allows both sides to be shown, at the correct die axis alignment, just by waiting a handful of seconds for the coin to flip back over.

Oh, neat!

OK, that makes sense.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those coin holders are very cool! The coins too ;)

• Options

@Justacommeman - FWIW, I spent two or three hours metal detecting on the second night of my honeymoon, while the new ladymarcovan slept. Yes - that's right. At night. On my honeymoon.

In defense of my geekishness, I will say the following:

1. We were staying at a B&B that had originally been a plantation house. It had been built circa 1790. Imagine, if you will, the digging possibilities in the large yard shaded by ancient cedar trees which surrounded the place. I cannot visit such a place without my detectorist's brain activating.
    2. The owners/innkeepers were totally cool with me doing that and managed to disguise all their "what a weirdo!" facial expressions when the topic had been discussed. They might not have even had such thoughts of ridicule. Who knows. B&B innkeepers (at least in the Deep South) are hospitality personified.
    3. My bride is also tolerant and even supportive of such behaviors, which is one of several reasons she became my bride in the first place and has remained so these last 18 years and counting.

PS- alas, the large cents, Bust & Seated coins, and Spanish reales in that yard eluded my searchcoil that time. I know they were there, though.
      PPS- as a nod to the title of this thread, whose subject I totally veered away from in my ramblings, I will mention that when I was detecting in the dark around that old plantation house, an owl hooted from the branches of one of the ancient cedar trees.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2017 10:22AM

I like owls but I just have to say the bee coins are cool! :smile:

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this interesting thread. We actually bought a little owl at the Denver ANA show.