Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 1979 OPC Hockey Autographed Set UPDATE: Mail Day

MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I've been wanting to build a PSA Autographed set for a few years and recently decided to go with 1979 OPC Hockey (my favorite set). When I was 13 I had about 50 cards signed TTM, but sold them along with my entire collection of hockey memorabilia when I went back to finish college.

After two weeks of searching the internet high and low for cards I am sitting at about 70% of the 396 total cards needed, and have made a few deals for really big cards in the set. In the short time I've been working on this set I have found the online autograph community to be full of amazingly helpful and kind people genuinely looking out for one another. I am very thankful for this.

Anywho, I hope you visit often and enjoy the progress as much as I.

I'll leave you all with the first card I picked-up. A big card and a beauty. This will be in the first batch going to PSA this month. My plan is to send away a minimum of 4 cards per month to PSA.

Edit to Add:

I already have this card, but If anybody has Lars-Erik Sjoberg signed I will pay $300 raw and $500 PSA/DNA for extras. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool project can't wait to watch the progress.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

A Bunny sighting, right out of the box! Well done. I enjoy your hockey posts.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

good luck with it!!
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start!!! :+1::+1:

Good luck with the set.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

Maybe more than anyone on this forum, I can appreciate this. Best of luck. I suspect that like me, you'll slow down as you get close to the end. It took me 5 years to get to within 1/3 of a leaders card of 1971 Topps Hockey. I'm still 6 shy of 1968 Topps and 5 shy of 1970 Topps. Hopefully with the 10 year difference, i'll be better for you. Leaders cards with deceased guys are the toughest. Did anyone in that set die within a year or two of release? For my 71 set, Wayne Maki had died in 74. That was the toughest I thought - but there were actually two more I needed after I found him.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great project. Best of luck.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Thank you for the kind words. I'm working about 18 hours/day but I will try my best to keep this thread updated.

1970s - I'm going with red flip / card grade only / no auto grade.

Mike - I don't think anyone passed away soon after 79/80. The soonest, I think, was Sjoberg in '87 and then Larocque in '92. Some say Dryden is the toughest since he rarely signs. I've managed to pull off a couple deals to get all of Dryden's cards, so thankfully he is out of the way, however, I would like to get him on the Stanley Cup Champions card since he's on it - but if this never happens I can live with Bob Gainey and/or Doug Risebrough (I think it's Risebrough) signing the card. The other goalies on the Dryden cards will be nerve-wracking: Esposito, Palmateer, Lessard, Parent, and Resch. I think I will only send these into private signings to minimize the risk off loss. I remember when you picked the Maki up. That's probably one of my favorite signed hockey cards out there.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Good choice for a set to focus on. Probably my favorite modern Topps Hockey set of all time.

• Options

More BIG cards off the list. Ken Dryden.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2017 9:18PM

Mail day.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Ummmm, you know you probably could've saved the back of that card rather than completely destroying it?

• Options

It's all good.