Home Sports Talk
Options

Adrian Beltre

ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

With his hits last night (July 7), Adrian Beltre became the 21st player in MLB history to reach 5,000 total bases. Also needs only 23 hits to reach 3,000 career hits. A long, distinguished career.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that monster year he had on PEDS then his numbers dropped right off after.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

No-brainer HOFer. All-time great defensive 3B, 450+ homers. No. Brainer.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call him a no brainer......Highly likely to be a hofer.
    Maybe not 1st ballot

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

PED suspicion will likely keep him out for a year or two.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    PED suspicion will likely keep him out for a year or two.

I don't disagree, but note that many said the same of Pudge Rodriguez who did make it on his first ballot (albeit narrowly at 76%).

Jeff

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peds, enough said.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

2 more hits today, 11 left to go.

• Options

4 for 4, 7 more to go.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

PEDs, so he'd never get my HOF vote. But it's also worth mentioning that as a hitter, he's just not HOF-level anyway so his HOF case rests on his defense. Beltre was, roughly, half as good a baseball player as Ron Santo; anyone who thought Santo wasn't worthy or was borderline couldn't construct a case for Beltre that passes the laugh test. Beltre is also not as good a player as Lou Whitaker, another middle infielder with a bunch of Gold Gloves and a lifetime OPS+ 1 point higher than Beltre. Whitaker got 2.9% of the vote in his only HOF vote; I thought he deserved better than that, but Whitaker making the HOF was never going to happen.

All that said, Beltre will make or not make the HOF depending only on how voters view his PED use. If they choose to pretend that Beltre was playing baseball, he'll get in; if they acknowledge that he wasn't, then he won't.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

I find it so funny that people crucify certain PED users but let others slide. I cannot stand Beltre

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I find it so funny that people crucify certain PED users but let others slide. I cannot stand Beltre

What "others"?

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Dallas I'm talking about Beltre, some are talking HOF here while he was a PED user. If he gets in put te testify them in

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tremendous defensive player as well. Easy HOF material.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Dallas I'm talking about Beltre, some are talking HOF here while he was a PED user. If he gets in put te testify them in

I think you are going to see both Bonds and Clemens enshrined within the next few years. The voting percentages atre trending in that direction and with each passing year, the voting demographic will care less and less about PED use.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Tim, if they allow Bonds, Clemens etc.. in then I would be fine with Beltre going in. Like I said before the MLB HOF has lost its luster years ago in my opinion. I think it's got way too many players in

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Tim, if they allow Bonds, Clemens etc.. in then I would be fine with Beltre going in. Like I said before the MLB HOF has lost its luster years ago in my opinion. I think it's got way too many players in

It would be really boring if there were only like 15 players in it and someone got elected every 10 years. No one would care then. Not really sure why you think it has to many players. There's very few that I think do not deserve and majority of them are from long ago and were voted in long ago. Every era of fan wants to see their favorite players and the best players from that time period voted in at some point. Also there have already been guys voted in who have suspicion around them with PEDs such as Bagwell, pudge, and Piazza. I would put beltre in that same category.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Congrats. The deal was done with a double this afternoon.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The HOF can hold thousands of players plenty of room . No one under the age of 40 cares if a baseball HOF exists or not. Too busy updating their myface , instachat?? whatever , they don't care they don't even watch the games , they are 3 hours and 59 minutes long , thats 3 hours and 57 minutes more than the attention span of the average millennial . The sport , like most of the players in the HOF is dead , stick a fork in it.

Those over 40 know it's all politics anyway for the most part , PED's is just the club they are beating them over the head with now , later on it will be something else , maybe in 2025 the player can't get in , because he was mean to someone on twitter.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 3:53PM

@bronco2078 said:
    The HOF can hold thousands of players plenty of room . No one under the age of 40 cares if a baseball HOF exists or not. Too busy updating their myface , instachat?? whatever , they don't care they don't even watch the games , they are 3 hours and 59 minutes long , thats 3 hours and 57 minutes more than the attention span of the average millennial . The sport , like most of the players in the HOF is dead , stick a fork in it.

Those over 40 know it's all politics anyway for the most part , PED's is just the club they are beating them over the head with now , later on it will be something else , maybe in 2025 the player can't get in , because he was mean to someone on twitter.

I hear you on the youngsters not caring. I'm over 40 loved the game as a kid but it's virtually dead to me now. I'm just. It going to spend over 3 hours or longer watching a regulator season game. I'll watch some of The World Series. Maybe.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

It's not a true HOF until it has the All Time Hit Leader in it!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

• Options

I love when DIMEMAN returns!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

It's not a true HOF until it has the All Time Hit Leader in it!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Im not sure if this will help.

Another controversy has found Pete Rose, baseball’s embattled hit king. According to a sworn statement filed in a Pennsylvania court Monday by an unidentified woman, Rose maintained a sexual relationship with her in the 1970s when she says she was under the age of 16.

They both lived in Ohio at the time, where 16 is the age of consent. If true — Rose admits the relationship but says she was older than 16 — Rose wouldn’t face criminal charges for statutory rape because the statute of limitations has expired. The revelation is part of another legal battle: Rose vs. John Dowd, the special counsel who oversaw MLB’s investigation into Rose in the late 80s.

Rose is currently suing Dowd for defamation and the statement about Rose’s relationship with this girl was presented in Dowd’s defense. Here’s more on the statement, via ESPN’s William Weinbaum:

Rose acknowledged he had a sexual relationship with the woman in court documents made public Monday, but he said his information and belief was that it started when she was 16. He was 34, married and the father of two children in 1975, when he says he began having sex with the woman, referred to in the filing as “Jane Doe.” Rose said he does not recall how long the relationship lasted.
    The woman’s account does not raise the prospect of a criminal charge for Rose, as it is well past Ohio’s statute of limitations. She said they also had sex outside of Ohio when she was 16 or younger, but didn’t specify the states, and Rose said their sexual relationship was confined to Ohio. In some states, such as Florida, the legal age of consent is 18.
    The origin of this legal battle is a 2015 radio interview in which Dowd claimed that Rose had memorabilia dealer Michael Bertolini bring him 12- to 14-year-old girls at spring training in the ’70s. Dowd then said Rose committed statutory rape with them.

Rose sued Dowd for defamation, with his legal team saying the claim is “entirely false in every respect.”

Bertolini also provided key evidence in Dowd’s investigation into Rose’s gambling, as it was Bertolini notebook that detailed Rose’s bets. His taped were conversations were the primary evidence that led to Rose’s ban from baseball.

On Monday, one of Rose’s lawyers, Ray Genco, told ESPN:

“John Dowd purposely made a defamatory statement that damaged Pete — serial pedophilia consisting of the statutory rape of 12- to 14-year-olds during spring training. It is also false. And Judge Tucker just ruled that it constitutes defamation per se.
    “Dowd can’t defend his own actions here — so he is distracting. It’s just Dowd attacking Pete instead of defending his own inexplicable accusations on the radio the day before Pete was to be honored in Cincinnati at the All-Star Game. His litigation strategy is to further drag Pete’s name through the mud. It’s a witch hunt — and won’t be a successful litigation strategy.”

• Options

Even if this is true, which I doubt, it has nothing to do with Baseball. If you start weeding out players with moral issues the probably half of the ones there would have to be removed. ;)

Nice try Mark.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Those over 40 know it's all politics anyway for the most part, PED's is just the club they are beating them over the head with now, later on it will be something else, maybe in 2025 the player can't get in, because he was mean to someone on twitter.

That's already happening with Curt Schilling! :(

Steve

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Even if this is true, which I doubt, it has nothing to do with Baseball. If you start weeding out players with moral issues the probably half of the ones there would have to be removed. ;)

Nice try Mark.

100% he has the numbers to be in the HOF

100% he is a total scumbag

Those are facts

m

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

When was he found to be on steroids? Unless you're going to look at his big season with the Dodgers and just assume. But you know what happens when you assume.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice try Mark.

100% he has the numbers to be in the HOF

100% he is a total scumbag

Those are facts

m

I guess we can agree on those facts. B)

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 5:11PM

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice try Mark.

Even if it's true? Rose has already admitted having a relationship with this girl. He claims she was 16, she claims she was 14. Either way, Rose was married with two kids at the time so he is a disgrace in any case.

As for who is telling the truth, we know Rose is a pathological liar so my money is on the woman's account.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@perkdog said:

I think you are going to see both Bonds and Clemens enshrined within the next few years. The voting percentages atre trending in that direction and with each passing year, the voting demographic will care less and less about PED use.

What they care about less is cheating. Ethics and morals have left the political community generations ago and departed the business community decades ago. Win at any and all cost is the mantra and those that play by the rules are respected only as honest rubes.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice try Mark.

Even if it's true? Rose has already admitted having a relationship with this girl. He claims she was 16, she claims she was 14. Either way, Rose was married with two kids at the time so he is a disgrace in any case.

As for who is telling the truth, we know Rose is a pathological liar so my money is on the woman's account.

What exactly does all this have to do with being the All Time Hit Leader??? ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice try Mark.

Nothing, but it's part of the reason why he'll never get into the Hall of Fame, about which I am very pleased. I'd rather see Bonds get in before Rose.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice try Mark.

Nothing, but it's part of the reason why he'll never get into the Hall of Fame, about which I am very pleased. I'd rather see Bonds get in before Rose.

WOW...that is rich. Bonds took drugs and cheated to get his stats. Rose didn't......just pure Baseball talent.

The HOF is a JOKE!!!!!

• Options

Pete Rose is also a joke so it is what it is.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Pete Rose is also a joke so it is what it is.

m

I don't have to defend Rose.....his stats speaks for themselves. If I typed how I really feel about all this I would be banned....so I won't! I will never acknowledge the HOF until Rose is in......and he will be in sooner or later...so get ready. ;)

• Options

Rose will never get into the HOF and that is just fine with me.

He was a great player (though he is a bit overrated) but he was a degenerate gambler who bet on baseball after years of denying it (with evidence that he also bet against the Reds, as well). This latest sordid story about him is not surprising for an individual as morally bereft as Pete.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 8:44PM

I find it odd that someone would get so bent out of shape and waste their breathe on a liar, rule breaker, adulterer, admitted statutory rapist and otherwise miserable human being.

I could care less if he gets in. It's not important to me in the least.

mark

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 8:55PM

The barebones requirements to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Each Hall of Fame candidate must have been retired for at least five seasons and have played at least ten seasons in major league baseball. Inductees are selected by careful examination of their qualifications including their playing record, character and integrity

Rose doesn't come close to meeting these requirements. He only gets into the HOF if they change the requirements. Otherwise no chance.

m

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we can all agree the character clause has never really been followed. Look at many enshrined hofers: Cobb, Ruth, anson and so many more.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think we can all agree the character clause has never really been followed. Look at many enshrined hofers: Cobb, Ruth, anson and so many more.

I was going to bring this up.....but what is the use here.

Rose was a choir boy compared to Cobb.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

every thread even remotely related to the baseball HOF becomes about pete rose :D

Its a very special application of Godwin's law

• Options

Only a matter of time now before Fox Sports dumps him.

• Options

The irony of all this is that if Pete had let sleeping dogs lie, none of this would be in the news, but he sued Dowd for defamation and got burnt.

Funny how he didn't sue Dowd for stating that there was convincing evidence that Rose bet AGAINST the Reds while gambling. Of course, Rose doesn't want anyone looking into that~that was why he agreed to the voluntary ban from baseball with Giamatti back in 1989~he wanted Dowd's investigation to stop at any cost because he knew what would be found if the investigation hadn't been suspended with his ban.

• Options

I sincerely hope we are NOT holding infidelity against Rose.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I sincerely hope we are NOT holding infidelity against Rose.

I don't think that is what's being held against him as much as it is the age of the girls (14-16) with whom he was involved.

• Options

I'm not holding anything more against him. What he did was enough to hold him out of the Hall forever. He has demonstrated a total lack of integrity in the past and he hasn't helped himself since

m

• Options

Ok I missed the 14-16 year old girl part. If that's the case then he should be in jail

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is old news. Pete has a LOT of serious problems. He needs help.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Beltre has moved into 27th place on the all-time hit list at 3,015; 20th place on the extra-base hits list at 1,101; 18th place on the total bases list at 5,067.

• Options

Moves into a tie for 25th place on the hit list, at 3,023.