Home Q & A Forum

1838 and 1875 $5 Gold Pieces

I'm new to this game. I just wondered if anyone had insight with these two coins. An 1838 $5 gold piece and an 1875 $5 Gold piece. Both are in the protective covering, so I apologize if the quality of the pictures are poor.

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing "1875 $5" had me clicking on this but quick. That's an ultra-rarity in the $5 Liberty series. Yours is an 1875-S. Still scarce, but not like the 1875. The grades on in the XF-AU range for the 1838, and VF-XF for the 1875-S. I can't be more specific due to the photograph quality. Also, I can't tell if the coins have been futzed with at all, which can dramatically affect the value. Both of these coins should be authenticated and graded if sold, as it will help you get a fair price for them. Retail price guides show the 1838 being worth $900-1500, and the 1875-S $1500-2500 for problem-free coins.

• These coins are not problem free....
    1. The first one pictured ( 1838 ) has a black ( or dirt ) in the E of states and under the eagles beak...
    On top of that the horizontal lines in the center shield in the bird has darkened lines and is dirt...
    It has not been cleaned very well

1. On the bottom one ( 1875 ) the dirt is very visible or noticible on the eagle side with it being inside
      the lettering...As there is no dirt around the fields or hair etc, that shows it is not cleaned well.
      What ever grade someone thinks they are, i would drop them to the next grade below because
      of the bad cleaning. The 1875 also has a scratch under the eagles neck....

Personally i would have taken the coins out of the covering and then pictured them and then
    placed them back in and restapled them closed..You cant make them any worse than what they
    are already and that only was due to usage in those early days....However you will do as you wish...

THESE ARE DEFINATELY NOT PROBLEM FREE and in my eyes and i would grade them
    almost VF ( or a/VF ) at best. They are definately better than fine as writing is legible. ...OIO

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

Please don't feed the troll -- don't clean your coins. Dirt is GOOD.

• Tell knd32 not to clean the coins...but it is too late now...by rights they are only bullion in my opinion