Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

headed to chantilly show. anyone else. i should be there when the doors open friday.

looks like a ton of dealers will be there.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about it. Not too far of a drive from Baltimore

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about it as well. Lots of Cowboys signing on Sunday.

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Great show. I'll be there for the weekend, barring something unforeseen.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

How was the show?

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@heritage said:
    How was the show?

I think the show is this weekend 7/14-7/16.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

lol I'm sorry I didn't realize that. would love to hear about how you guys do.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's how it went:

Got there at 2 pm on friday. Stayed for about 5 hours. Stayed Saturday for about 2 1/2 hours. Here' is my summation:

1) Not alot of high end PSA cards. One dealer had a nice selection and a few more had some here and there, but not many 8's and above. More SGC cards and BGS cards than anything.
    2) Unopened. Not much here. Pitt guy had a nice selection of the 2013 - 2017, not alot below that. Other dealers had some unopened packs of 1978 - 1981 football cards here and there. Overall not a good show for unopened.
    3) Barely any Durant rookies, lebron rookies. Barely any cards from 1989 through 2012. Very disappointing. I was looking for Beltre, guerrero rookies, opc cards, and finest refractors (and bb atomic refractors).
    4) Lots of low end 50's through 70's. Low end means below ex (psa 5). Many people filling sets.
    5) I was looking for cards to grade and I had 4 dealers tell me not to even bother, that they had picked through all of their cards for anything that might have been and 8 or better.
    6) Overall, quantity over quality by a large margin, which is ok, but the asking prices were for ex-mt - nm range not vg - ex. The show reminded me alot of the national i went to in Baltimore. Lots of ungraded mantles for psa 7 prices.
    7) on the plus side I bought my first sgc graded mantle. I usually pass on these but the sgc 6 was the best 6 mantle I had ever seen (PSA, Beckett or anyone). Centering was 51-49 (awesome) corners were barely touched. The surface did have some PD on the border of the card that kind of blended in to the card. I paid a little to much probably, but only because the centering was so great.

I hope if you went you had a good time.

• hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭

Concerning looking for cards to grade, I was setup and may have been one of the dealers who told you not to bother looking for 8's in my raw cases.

I grade what I feel is worth grading myself. I had three dealers go through my showcases before the show opened. I keep new raw inventory behind the table for those dealers and others like them to look through so they don't look through cards they passed on previously. They bought a vault box or more worth of cards between them.

The room had numerous graded dealers go through the displays Thursday afternoon and Friday morning setup. I went through what I could and bought cards to grade myself from other dealers. Customers attending the show, especially after the first day will have a difficult time finding any quantity of raw cards to grade.

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 4:41PM

And the above post is why i decided not to go (no offense intended to the poster). It's a 3 hour drive each way for me. I went to the previous show and it was very lacking in quality items. I was concerned to drive 6 hours for the same experience again. Not being "in the know" that certain dealers have things not on display, but available for review if you know to ask, etc. makes it a little frustrating for buyers just walking in the door looking for something nice to buy.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    And the above post is why i decided not to go (no offense intended to the poster). It's a 3 hour drive each way for me. I went to the previous show and it was very lacking in quality items. I was concerned to drive 6 hours for the same experience again. Not being "in the know" that certain dealers have things not on display, but available for review if you know to ask, etc. makes it a little frustrating for buyers just walking in the door looking for something nice to buy.

great post. I totally agree. I've been six times and I'm done. the only ones who get the good cards are the dealers. I feel like bernie sanders after finding out that cnn gave Hillary the questions.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I also attended the show; I went on Friday only. Below is a summary of what I saw. This is the first major show I have been too in 10_+ years, so take my virgin observations for what they are worth...

Review: I arrived a 2pm, there was a bit of a line to get in. Some dealers were not set up at 2pm and others just arriving around 5pm when I was leaving, which did not make sense to me given the likely high prices they paid for space, but whatever. I stayed about 3.5 hrs on site, with the last hour solely to avoid the thunderstorm raging outside (did not want to get wet). I saw some cool stuff, but dealers appear to be unwilling to negotiate. For example, I found a very nice PSA 10 Akeem 1986-87 Fleer rookie in the holo label. The dealer was firm at $800, when current market prices are well below this. I showed the seller $600 cash in 100 dollar bills as my offer, which is slightly above current market prices. He lectured me about making an insulting offer and sent me on my way, a very disappointing experience. As others have noted, I saw little unopened, but that is not my thing. Steel City had a ton of unopened, but it was very modern stuff produced in the last 1-2 years. I networked with a few dealers, which was cool, given this was the first major show I have attended in years; many were happy to share with me tips and helpful hints to navigate the floor. Interestingly enough, I observed many dealers to be completed unorganized. Most did not have prices listed next to high end items. When I asked for the price, I often got a look of disdain as if I should know the price already. I purchased only about $100 worth of mid end cards, but these were made with dealers who were organized, had easy to see pricing, and who worked with me if I bought more than one item. I did observe some rude buyers, to include a man who knocked over a 16x20 framed JSA certified mickey mantle autographed photo, cracking the frame and spider cracking the glass. He did not apologize to the dealer and blamed the dealer for putting the framed picture in a spot that caused it to fall when he bumped into it, of which I though was crazy given what I witnessed. I also observed buyers fighting over Aaron Judge cards of varying values, in some cases attempting to "cover up" a given judge card being displayed by a dealer when a rival buyer approached to look at the dealer's inventory...very childish behavior for 40+ year olds. There seemed to be more dealers selling baseball figures and non-autographed sports items (random team photos, plaques, jerseys, etc). than sports cards, of which I was not prepared for...and it seemed these dealers of non-cards were seeing little action, so I am not sure how they make money. There was one dealer moving supplies only and he seemed to have a steady stream of customers. Finally, I only observed a handful of children on site. This was disappointing considering for our hobby to survive, we need more young people.

I don't remember who on this board collects/loves the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNF, but I saw this one and took a pic of it for reference...