Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC said:
    For some reason, I'm fascinated by this thread, and maybe it's because I still make more mistakes than I should. often, it's not on the primary coin I buy. Rather, it happens when I keep looking, and take a chance on something. Also, I buy a lot of raw coins, so it can be a bit tougher to get it right 100% of the time. Still, I need more discipline in my coin buying.

Let me give you a couple of examples.

First, I'm not talking about coins I buy for myself, such as the one below. (and like the ones Bill Jones identified). Those are keepers. I saw this bust half raw in Baltimore, loved it, tried to buy it, lost out, then found it again and paid about 25% more than I offered the first time, and above retail, all while knowing that it was a solid 55. I don't care...I love it and it's in my Bust Half Redbook set. It's an 1824/4, perfect for the grade AU-55, with subdued near full luster, except where there is wear.

Next, a good buy and a mistake, probably. Both are toned dollars-one a Morgan and one a Peace. I graded the Morgan as a 64 and the Peace Dollar as a 63/4, but I was a little uncertain on the toning of the Peace Dollar, while knowing that if it graded, it was worth more for the toning. It came back QT, which is disappointing, and which I am not sure I agree with. I still kinda believe in this coin. However, I can't say I was unaware of the risk. What do you think--QT? The other dollar-the 64 Morgan was a good buy.

The last coin is a better date 92-cc $10. I don't know gold that well but I bought it right and I figured it would straight grade as an xf-40. It's likely not a candidate for CAC, and may not even be choice, but it is respectable, so I will do fine with it. However, I wasn't entirely sure when I bought it that it would straight-grade, so there was some risk.

Anyway, this is why my "regrets" ratio is a bit too high, I suppose.

Tom