Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dimple or divot

How does PSA grade a card with a very minor pin point size "divot" or reverse "dimple" on the surface? Have a card thinking of submitting and would like a 7 or higher, wondering if this would be a problem. Thanks, Pat

Comments

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Have a PSA 8 1971 McCovey that was purchased through PWCC in 2016 that has a "sunk" dimple (as opposed to raised) on the front surface. Would have never purchased if I knew what the defect was and returns are discouraged...
    So it is possible, Don't remember what generation flip was on the card and the auction link is blank.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a PSA 10 1988 Topps Chris Doleman (not from 4sharp either) with a pinpoint raised divot/dimple near the right border. Virtually undetectable but there in proper light. So, probably anywhere from PSA 1-PSA 10 depending on grader is my guess.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

has anyone seen one just "appear" from nowhere over time? just wondering if it occurs...id never say never

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 1:24PM

I think you can reasonably expect an 8 on a card with a small divot or dimple. I'd say it's probably slightly less egregious than a surface bubble.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat,

I think you should be able to get a PSA 7 on it providing there is nothing else wrong with the card.

Good luck.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:
    I've got a PSA 10 1988 Topps Chris Doleman (not from 4sharp either) with a pinpoint raised divot/dimple near the right border. Virtually undetectable but there in proper light. So, probably anywhere from PSA 1-PSA 10 depending on grader is my guess.

I have seen quite a few PSA 9's and 10's with virtually undetectable divots and dimples where you only notice the flaws when the cards are held in certain angles.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.