Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2009 Bowman Sterling Mike Trout rookie auto - Help needed

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

So, I have a chance to pick this card up but I have to give up some big time cards to do so. My hope would be to grade the card (possibly dual auto & card grades?)

I am slightly concerned with the surface of the card. Some vertical print marks run through the middle of the card and are especially inside Trout's red jersey. Other than that, the corners look perfect and the auto looks clean.

Bottom line, based on the pics what do you guys think the card would grade? Best case scenario? Worst case scenario? Any overall thoughts or advice?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Surface scratches rule out 10 and likely a 9 too.

• Options

Anybody else?
    Especially those with experience grading modern cards?

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Surface scratches rule out 10 and likely a 9 too

In all fairness, the imperfections are not scratches but rather look like vertical print lines probably straight from factory production. I'm not sure if that makes any difference though.

• Options

I'd have to agree with HGL- a "10" is definitely out because of the surface. Because of the surface imperfections you are looking at a "9" or an "8". If I had that card in my hand and wanted to keep it I'd have PSA grade it hoping for a "9". If the "8" came back then I'd probably crack it out and send it to BGS. BGS will count against the surface but your subgrades on the rest of it will definitely take it past an "8".

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!