Home Sports Talk
Options

Of course McEnroe is correct.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2017 10:15AM in Sports Talk

As great a player as Serena is, she would get smoked on the Men's circuit. Being correct though, is not politically correct.

https://youtu.be/NpyhaBZPDtk

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

..........................and Bobby Riggs can beat Billie Jean King!!!

I don't think Ms. Williams would get "smoked" in a men's tournament, there are probably quite a few players she could and would beat, but I think it is a bad idea to even consider an open sex pro-anything.

I have always thought that it is just irrational for women to want to play in men's sports at the High School and College levels. sure, there are girls/women who can compete against men in men's leagues but do they want to set a precedent where men can than compete in women's league play??? that only seems fair, although there are probably not many men who would do it.

as an example, can you imagine at the high school level where a State Association allows a girl to play baseball due to a lawsuit?? how long would it take for the boys to start playing volleyball and pushing the girls to the bench??? the instances where women play on a men's Team have always struck me as extremely selfish and self-serving. it satisfies one at the expense of many.

• Options

The Riggs/Billie Jean match was rigged. Do your research, Keets.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Most high schools have mens and womens volleyball these days.

Re Serena, do you really think there are 700 men that could beat her? Maybe 70. Even so another more politically correct way to have said the same thing is she is in the top 0.00001% of all the worlds tennis players.

• Options

I don't follow tennis much. The story is all over the place though. If a good source told me that Serena could compete with the men at Wimbledon, I would have believed it. McEnroe has been in the game for 40 years and says 700. I believe that. He placed himself in his mid 50's at 1200. He was quite complimentary of Williams but gave his opinion when asked.

Have always heard that pound for pound, Sugar Ray Robinson was the worlds greatest pugilist. Of course the pound for pound disclaimer excused that fact that a heavyweight champ would have had his head.

• Options
    Natchez14Natchez14 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Didn't her sister play the #203 men's player and get smoked?
    At the time, she was sure she could beat him.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her serve which a weapon against women would be a detriment to her against men.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

:D

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why ask an expert on a subject a question and when he/she answers it, you expect an apology?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Natchez14 said:
    Didn't her sister play the #203 men's player and get smoked?
    At the time, she was sure she could beat him.

They both* played him and both got smoked. And he was drinking beer during the match.

Years later, Serena denied having ever played a man.

• to be fair, Serena was only 16 at the time. But...she had claimed she could beat any man outside the top 200. And couldn't.
  • Options

@keets said:

Before throwing the match to King, Riggs played Margaret Court, the undisputed #1 women's tennis player in the world. He beat Court 6-2-, 6-1. At 55 years old.

• Options

Why is it so hard for people to accept that Serena wouldn't have a chance against top men? Does anybody really think a top female sprinter would have a chance against the men? The world record for women in the 100m is 10.49. That would be good for last place in this year's men's Big 10 100m finals. Why the heck would tennis be any different?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

Before throwing the match to King, Riggs played Margaret Court, the undisputed #1 women's tennis player in the world. He beat Court 6-2-, 6-1. At 55 years old.

I heard a rumor that he bet against himself and might have taken a dive . If it was rigged probably didn't happen because Bobby was a feminist. On the other hand he was not exactly in his prime at the time of the match.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I heard a rumor that he bet against himself and might have taken a dive . If it was rigged probably didn't happen because Bobby was a feminist. On the other hand he was not exactly in his prime at the time of the match.

He owed money to people and had to take a dive to pay it off.

• Options

Been ruminating over this for a couple of days. Trying to understand the view of those that were appalled by McEnroe's comments. Trust me...this is not easy.

Best way to do this is to consider Woman's tennis (or basketball or golf) as a different sport from the men's game. Sort of as wrestling is separate from boxing.

It gets muddy though as transgender participants increase in numbers.

I give up, I don't know what the feminists are getting at.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I was Bobby Riggs I would have said I took a dive, no surprise there.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Not the first time McEnroe has made these type of comments. As always, he is correct.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Why ask an expert on a subject a question and when he/she answers it, you expect an apology?

@garnettstyle said:
    Not the first time McEnroe has made these type of comments. As always, he is correct.

Yep, couldn't have said it better.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 4:25PM

@Coinstartled said:

I don't know about rigged....BUT.....he was twice her age and not playing anymore. Any man in the top 300 would have beat BJK! No problem.

And NO...there isn't a man on the circuit that wouldn't beat Serena Williams. Aggasi(sp) would still beat her. She wouldn't get a serve past him!

• Options

Sabrina??

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Sabrina??

Sorry....fixed.