Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Year and Authenticity of this Japanese Yen-Help!!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2017 6:33PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please help if you know anything else about this coin(denomination, year, etc). I cant read Japanese and my book only covers the 20th century coins and I cant find it in there. Fakes are everywhere!!

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2017 6:41PM

It's not a yen, it's a 50 sen. Meiji year 3/1870.

Do you have diameter/weight? I'm not sure I'm liking the granular appearance on the reverse. This is in an NGC MS-64 slab. The dragons aren't always hammered, but the reverse on yours looks a bit mushy.

and this one from the just-concluded Heritage sale (a 65 in this case...the dragon is much better struck in this one).
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/japan/japan-meiji-50-sen-year-3-1870-ms65-ngc-/a/3055-38261.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

• Options

I have neither the weight or diameter. Coin is not in hand. I saw the granular fields and wondered about its authenticity, but I have US coins from that era with similar issues. US seller with a return policy, so that makes me feel a bit better.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the reverse of the piece in the OP. To me, it feels counterfeit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Questions asked to the seller. Thanks guys!

• Options

Especially if he is telling you it's a yen!

• Options
    edited June 26, 2017 7:19PM

No, that was just me. Said 50 sen. May not matter. It will be "too small" for my crown album I think.

• Options

I'm now using a bigger screen (and wearing my glasses...when did I get so old I needed bifocals???) and I definitely don't like the reverse. The obverse has too much metal around a few of the characters. The sen is a bit indistinct.

I'd pass or if you've already bought it I'd make sure to take a careful look in hand and check the diameter/weight.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very skeptical in terms of whether it is in fact genuine. From what I see I would say counterfeit.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.