Home Sports Talk
Options

Good luck Jerry Remy, Red Sox announcer

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remy is undergoing (probably as I type), his FIFTH lung cancer surgery. He's a tough cookie, and as I watched the game yesterday, he sounded upbeat and positive...a RARE thing for me to catch a Red Sox game in Atlanta.

I used to smoke like a chimney...don't know why I ever started, but I suspect it was me trying to be cool with the other guys in High School. I don't think you could name a cigarette I haven't tried during those days, but I finally got into the camels and lucky strikes...NO filters, and worse yet, about 3 packs a day. Terrible habit!!

I quit the day I got home from Vietnam, November 6th, 1970 and never looked back...cold turkey, the only way to beat it. So, if you're reading this and you're a smoker, get a clue, you are addicted to the nicotine and are slowly, but steadily robbing yourself of a quality life in your later years.

GOOD LUCK Jerry !!!

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the best for Jerry. I don't know why anyone would smoke knowing what it can do to you.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I wish the best for Jerry. I don't know why anyone would smoke knowing what it can do to you.

Agree.

• Options

Remy came through surgery ok, now in ICU recovering.

I suspect his days as a Red Sox announcer are numbered. He's been doing it for 28 years, I think his health issues, combined with his idiot son who killed his girlfriend and Orsillo being dumped has taken its toll. His restaurant next to Fenway recently closed also. His new partner, Dave OBrien and he have not gelled and the few times I've heard their commentary, it just doesn't as fluid as the Orsillo relationship...Orsillo now broadcasting for the Padres in San Diego...nice place to get a gig if you get fired I suppose.

Maybe Eck will get the spot, he has a unique manner of broadcasting with his "iron", "cheese" and other quips. Not to mentione he's a HOFer...nice plus. Maybe Pedro could fill in when Eck is out. Gets my vote, 2 HOFers with deep Red Sox roots.

GL Remdawg.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

his non-PC comments about translators will not win him any young fans. The game needs young fans.

• Options

I seriously doubt that his comment about translators will impact Remy's status with the Red Sox organization. If that were the case, they would have sent him packing. It was his opinion, no more, no less and he doesn't need young fans to bolster his position in the booth or outside. He's pretty much in a "locked in" position with the Red Sox.

I think the point is moot, in that Remy's had 5 surgeries for cancer and he may think it's time to smell the roses and enjoy whatever he may have left. He's had a good run with the Red Sox and I doubt has any cash flow issues. Were I he, I'd find me a nice big piece of dirt in the middle of New Hampshire or Maine on a lake, and chill.

The game may need young fans, but the Fenway Faithful grow up in an atmosphere where "die hard Red Sox fans" abound. Much like Bostonians are uber-blue, still clinging to the days of Camelot and all the associated drama that emanated from Hyannisport, Fenway Faithful will always be there, through thick and thin, it's in their genes.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are "translators"?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 3:24PM

I'd rather hear an unvarnished opinion from someone that has played and excelled in the field than a sanctimonious one from the media. Same with McEnroe.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.