Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How long until this hits the graded card world (CAC for coins)

rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Stumbled upon an article in the coin world that caught my eye (Coin Discussion) which led me to wonder what CAC was. Basically a company that secondarily reviews already graded coins, and may or may not give a sticker of approval - CAC Wiki

Just wondering how long it will take before this hits the graded card world? Has it already happened with PWCC-HE?

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would we trust such a company more than PSA? At some point you have to accept the grading company as an authority and supplement that with your own preferences and priorities.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see this happening for the higher-end cards (over 1K), but not for the majority of graded cards. There is a lot more inherent value, by comparison, between the average graded coin and the average graded card. The CAC sticker adds a healthy premium to the value of a PCGS graded coin. I think it's probably most comparable to Brent's "certified high end" sticker, if you want to see what kind of impact it would have on graded cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Yeah, for the comic book grading company CGC, there's a similar sticker called "CVA exceptional," indicating the book is a really nice example of the grade in their opinion.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no specific info. but it is hard for me to believe that the card grading business as we know it today will be exactly the same 5 years from now. As it is said the only constant is change.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Yeah, for the comic book grading company CGC, there's a similar sticker called "CVA exceptional," indicating the book is a really nice example of the grade in their opinion.

How can they do that when the comic is sealed?

• Options

@MULLINS5 said:

@PaulMaul said:

How can they do that when the comic is sealed?

I think it's just based on eye appeal. And they just put a sticker on the outside of the slab above the grade.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drc said:
    If you require a third party company to tell the eye appeal, you probably shouldn't collecting.

I am not disagreeing but that's what the coin folks had been saying 3 years ago and now it becoming the norm to use CAC.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

A TPG grading another TPG? Sounds like a money sink to me. Although, "certified high end" stickers have already started, so it may not be far off

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY