Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to value a 1.5 million card collection?

While looking for stuff to throw up on my ebay store, found a seller looking to unload 1.5 million cards.

Says previous owner died in 1996 and been in his possession since... unpicked.

Mostly baseball with some 70's, and mostly 80's and 90's. Some hoops and hockey. Some graded 10's.

Plan to look at it tommorrow.

He's asking $5K which is way out of my comfort zone.

Need some guidance since I'm a novice at cards.

Comments

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Usually anything advertised with this type of hook is a creative seller who is looking to sell his worthless cards to an uninformed buyer.

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    Usually anything advertised with this type of hook is a creative seller who is looking to sell his worthless cards to an uninformed buyer.

Everything unwrapped and in boxes. Some graded. Figured if owner graded some cards the chances of any value is nil.

Offered him $1000 and he laughed it off.

Onto the next treasure hunt.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

$5K for 1.5M junk wax seems like fair price if it's all name brand cards like Topps, Donruss, Fleer and they are nm.mt condition.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

You get 3 cards for a cent that way... seems cheap :)

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the cards or is this sight unseen? Also, I don't know when PSA started, but there probably weren't many PSA 10's before 1996.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 8:27PM

found a seller looking to unload 1.5 million cards.

Who is the seller?

Have been "in possession" of 1.5 million cards for over a decade?

I'm just too incredulously cynical about this "seller."

Sure wish you the best. Is he offering them sight unseen?

Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

I"ve got a friend whose husband died and she's stuck with about 1.5 million cards that she wants to get rid of. The boxes filled most of a 2 car garage up to eye level. She'd be happy with $1k or so, if anyone is in Orange County, CA and has a large trailer pm me please.
    Mike, if you want to take a road trip to pick them up I'll leave the light on for you.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:
    I"ve got a friend whose husband died and she's stuck with about 1.5 million cards that she wants to get rid of. The boxes filled most of a 2 car garage up to eye level. She'd be happy with $1k or so, if anyone is in Orange County, CA and has a large trailer pm me please.
    Mike, if you want to take a road trip to pick them up I'll leave the light on for you.

Just have her send a trailer to COMC. :dizzy:

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 2:11AM

@Griffins said:

Anthony, I'm in OC. Do you have any specifics of the contents of this lot?

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe this is unpicked, but you never know until you see it. Good luck.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

All it takes is one great card find to get you motivated. You will spend the rest of your life digging through 1,499,999 cards and swearing there's another one in there somewhere. Or just swearing.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2017 8:05AM

@travis t said:
    All it takes is one great card find to get you motivated. You will spend the rest of your life digging through 1,499,999 cards and swearing there's another one in there somewhere. Or just swearing.

That is his whole rationale for the price.... $5000 down from $9000.

"Could be a $18,000 Gretzky in there!"

Gonna call him today and take a peek.

Going to Fun Coin Show in Orlando in two weeks. Picked up cheap 600 albums at an estate sale last week.

Got a friend with about 2.5 million cards including some 50' and 60's that I have seen.

Just don't want to tie up with a bunch of money having to resort to selling 5k box lots on ebay for pennies trying to break even.

I am not looking for a ripoff just a fair shot at profit for doing 99% of the work

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without seeing the collection it is hard to come up with a figure or value. I'm sure once you see it you will have a better idea if it's worth anything or if it's mostly late 80's and early 90's stuff that will be hard to move.

Good luck,
    Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 12:04PM

• Options

@Griffins said:

Thanx Anthony - a little out of my neighborhood.

See you in Chicago.

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2017 7:06AM

Well... I hate to say it, but paid close to his price.

Just got the fever when I saw those rookie Jeter and Griffey cards.

Spans back thru the 70's including Hockey, hoops, baseball, and football.

Most seem to be 80's and 90's.

As far as rookie cards....There were about a half dozen different Griffey cards, couple rookie Jeters, two Eddie Murray.

Searched some basketball and found 90's Jordan cards still present.

Lot's of Henderson, McGwire, Johnson et al.

Saw some older hockey as well as 90's.

Still working on a count, and finding the pre 90's basketball.

I'm at less than a penny a card.

Will start a reveal thread if anyone is interested.

Could use some help figuring out grade and submission choices.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh - got the fever!

I'd advise donating the junk stuff to a charity who can sell them and taking the tax writeoff at a reasonable rate. Will cut months off of the project. Hope you strike gold (or at least a fair amount of silver).

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Some 90s Jordans sell for shocking amounts. Good luck - have fun with it!

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Love these stories

• Options

I look forward to your posts Bob.

That's a lot of cards and will keep you busy for some time.

If I had all my stuff in one room - it would be interesting to guesstimate how many cards I actually have.

No where near a million but more than I care to admit.

Mike
  • Options

I am guessing it's a bit over 500,000 cards.

Been trying to cherry pick as I packed it away yesterday.

Focused mainly on Jordan but pulled a few Baseball

There are several error cards from a non reputable TPG that I will need help on.

The highlights...

Four Fleer #548 Griffey Rookie cards and Two Jeter Topps #98 1992 Draft Choice rookie were pulled previously in the "Money" box.

As for my efforts...
    Three Chipper Jones Topps #333 that look fantastic
    A single Chipper Jones Score #671 that looks fantastic
    Maybe 100 Topps 1980 that will make good auction material (No Henderson)
    Pulled 20+ Jordan Hoops from the 1990's that need research. Dupes and dupes of the other major stars.
    Hockey.... I'm lost but I saw some 79-80 era up thru 90-91.
    Football... haven't bothered to look.

Got a lot to learn.

My mindset is to parse it out and auction individually or as a group anything worth a few dollars.

Box up and sell the 5K boxes as lots for pennies.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@unclebob said:

>

Hockey.... I'm lost but I saw some 79-80 era up thru 90-91.

>

I'm curious to hear more about the hockey portion.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I'm torn here on this one. Since grading has existed I lost all ability to casually enjoy cards as they came. Now, each and every card, no matter what it is, must be scrutinized for at least for a few seconds when looking at it. This many cards all at once I don't think I'd bode to well with. Basically, I'm torn here because I can't decide if I would rather:

A. Have as much fun as possible for a very long time sorting, pulling HOFers out, checking mint looking commons on the pop report, enjoy getting input from the SMEs here, making up lots of teams/years to give to friends or sell, or outright just love the glory in all that something like this would provide.

or:

B. Have someone heat up multiple sharp pointed bamboo shoots and deeply thrust them all at once in and out of me bum for an hour.

Leaning toward A. (and congrats on this purchase here. Hoping ya find some nice gems. This would be fun)

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Bump.

No cheating on thread topics.

Am now at B.