Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Does. circulated $10 FRN with a solid number 6 worth much of a premium?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a coin guy but you know we run across other collectibles at times, and about 10 years ago I ran across this bill and thought it was neat so I bought it. Does grading make much of a difference with these if it is circulated?

Doug

Comments

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 12:04PM

Just as in the coin realm, condition always affects value. Still, if what you are describing is a $10 FRN with eight 6s (e.g., 66666666) it will have a significant premium notwithstanding it being circulated. The series, degree of circulation, any "problems," and even the district, will also have an effect on value. Its certainly worth in the hundreds of dollars. A picture/scan is always best.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Having the note graded could increase the comfort level of live bidders at auction. However, the note you described will still carry a hefty premium whether it is graded or not.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify gnats comment, any zeros or other numbers in the serial number would disqualify this as a "solid" serial numbers and diminish the value somewhat. 06666666 is not as good as 66666666 and not really a "solid" serial number.

I'd guess that a F-VF solid would be worth about half of what a CU solid number would be worth, but I emphasize "guess".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to see if I can scan it and post it. Thanks for the comments

Doug