Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Instagram post

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2017 10:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

And this one involves someone from another post on here, Gary (Got scammed out of $1,400 poster)!

Last night I decided to do a sale in order to raise some cash for a coin at Heritage. I did a live sale where I pretty much showed people what I had, they told me what they were looking for, and then we try to make a deal. It went pretty well, I sold a good amount and had a fun time doing so, a lot of new people I hadn't bought or sold from. Gary (uscoingallery) was on the entire time and expressed quite a bit of interest in a lot of coins. On live he committed to buying three coins, a Peace dollar, 2.50 gold, and Walking Liberty. I had a few people express interest in both the Peace and 2.50 gold. Luckily the guy who wanted the Peace messaged me after the live video.

When the video ended Gary messaged me to call him and talk so I did a bit and he told me I sold the gold 2.50 too cheap, and that he only said he would buy it cause he didn't want me getting scammed. He said its worth about double what I sold it to him at when it certainly isn't. He then told me the only coin he wanted to buy was the Peace dollar and he didn't want the gold $2.50 or the Walking Liberty. I told him that isn't how it works and you have to buy them all or you get none. The Peace dollar is extremely nice and I sold it too cheap, three people expressed interest in it and only about 5 people saw it.

Then when we got off the phone he messaged me the prices for the coins and asked if the amounts were correct. The prices he said were not what I said, and I even verified with two other people the prices. He quoted $25 less on one coin and $15 less on another (which is about 10% of the sale price). I was not happy and he said he didn't have the money to buy them anymore except the Peace dollar. Needless to say I did not sell him the Peace dollar. I am still pretty upset about the deal since the coins could have been shown again and likely sold but I put them aside beings we had a deal. I haven't heard from him last night when I told him he needs to pay for all 3 or I am not selling them to him.

An added note: There was someone on the live video that is a member here who can verify this story if he wants to. I wasn't going to post his username without permission so it is his choice on if he wants to or not.

Edited: 2 minutes after posting to adjust spacing and correct spelling.

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I can't follow the narrative.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have happened before I asked if any Peace Dollars were available. Sorry for your experience!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

sad, a deal is a deal.

except [apparently] when it isn't

Frank

BHNC #203

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

If Gary is able to flip the coin and profit off of it, you'll see him boast about how he made such a good deal and how it's such a great coin and how his mentor taught him so well, it's worth thousands, top pop, etc

If Gary winds up not making a good deal, he is just a fledgling young numismatist who has been scammed out of his lunch money and you'll see him post looking for any sympathy he can get.

Those who have been on Instagram for years have seen this come and go. That's why I've given up on the other topic. The people defending him do not know his history on Instagram.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy Gary from uscoingallery was talking with forked tongue. He tells you that you sold the quarter eagle for half what it is worth to him, but he does not want it anyway. WTF ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

• NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 10:59AM

That YN Gary sounds annoying from the way he posts and from whats posted here...IMO.
    Anyone should think twice before posting a dealer names when disparaging them unless threy commited something really unethical.

BTW, I am a YN too and never do things like these.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

@coindeuce said:
    This guy Gary from uscoingallery was talking with forked tongue. He tells you that you sold the quarter eagle for half what it is worth to him, but he does not want it anyway. WTF ?

No, he said that he would buy it on the video because he thought it was too cheap and didn't want me getting scammed. He didn't have any intentions of buying it. I attached a photo.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am the member who witnessed the sale. The $2 1/2 gold sold for about what I would pay. Gary (who was supposed to buy) messaged me saying he ended up not taking it, so I could have it instead. I passed for now, because gold has not been selling well for me right now. The Peace dollar was a toner, which I do not know if it was AT or natural. It sold for $250, and someone offered $1,000 later in the video. Of COURSE he wanted to keep that purchase, lol. I agree he should take all of his purchases or none. You shouldn't be able to "claim" everything, then back out later, in my opinion. I am still new to the instagram world, so don't know all the "rules" yet.

@jwitten said:
    I am the member who witnessed the sale. The $2 1/2 gold sold for about what I would pay. Gary (who was supposed to buy) messaged me saying he ended up not taking it, so I could have it instead. I passed for now, because gold has not been selling well for me right now. The Peace dollar was a toner, which I do not know if it was AT or natural. It sold for $250, and someone offered $1,000 later in the video. Of COURSE he wanted to keep that purchase, lol. I agree he should take all of his purchases or none. You shouldn't be able to "claim" everything, then back out later, in my opinion. I am still new to the instagram world, so don't know all the "rules" yet.

I sold it to the second buyer who wanted it at the $250 price actually. I could've gotten more but I decided to I threw out the number first and he said if the deal fell through he wanted it.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know time spent making the deal is valuable, but you are probably saving yourself from more of a headache later by just moving on.

@roadrunner said:
    Looks like another thread about Tuition. Maybe everyone should get off Instagram and start going to coin shows again? It could be time for a separate forum just for Instagram Coin Deals and all the fallout.

Sorry your transaction didn't work out well. I assume you knew this was the same Gary from the other thread? If you had reservations about the deal, or the potential buyer, why even continue? I don't get this Instagram Buyer Coercion stuff that seems to be spreading. Things moving too fast today for us Old Numismatists who prefer to actually show up in person at a coin auction or coin show.

I did not know it was Gary until after when he told me.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 11:00AM

@basetsb said:
    If Gary is able to flip the coin and profit off of it, you'll see him boast about how he made such a good deal and how it's such a great coin and how his mentor taught him so well, it's worth thousands, top pop, etc

If Gary winds up not making a good deal, he is just a fledgling young numismatist who has been scammed out of his lunch money and you'll see him post looking for any sympathy he can get.

Those who have been on Instagram for years have seen this come and go. That's why I've given up on the other topic. The people defending him do not know his history on Instagram.

Two (or more) wrongs do not make a "right." If true, these allegations suggest a lack of maturity and illustrate why minors are treated differently under the law.

@roadrunner said:
    Looks like another thread about Tuition. Maybe everyone should get off Instagram and start going to coin shows again? It could be time for a separate forum just for Instagram Coin Deals and all the fallout.

Sorry your transaction didn't work out well. I assume you knew this was the same Gary from the other thread? If you had reservations about the deal, or the potential buyer, why even continue? I don't get this Instagram Buyer Coercion stuff that seems to be spreading. Things moving too fast today for us Old Numismatists who prefer to actually show up in person at a coin auction or coin show.

Team Boyer's Birther Gambit failed on the other thread. Now back over here to try again to throw more mud around. OP has made an opening statement. Who knows how much of it is verifiable/true. It all just makes it clearer for all of us on who not to deal with going forward. I don't really know who to believe....but my spidey senses tell me who not to risk dealing with. If in doubt....pass and move along. Sometimes no deal is the best deal.

You can continue to defend someone you know nothing about except from what you've seen here. I made the post to give you some back story. You need to fine tune your spidey senses because they are misfiring on all cylinders here.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 11:15AM

Speaking of broken deals. I've had other dealers back out on big deals before (not in person) for ridiculous reasons. All it meant was that it was unlikely I would ever do business with them again. It's a free country.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    edited June 23, 2017 11:51AM

@FadeToBlack said:

Don't act like this crap doesn't happen in person too.

It's never happened to me in person. Once you walk away from the bourse table, which everyone is free to do, sellers and/or buyers....the prospective deal is DEAD. I've never had a dealer "confirm" a deal with me in person at a show, and then back out of it when they returned later....or never returned. I guess I deal with the right people, those with good ethics and integrity.

None of this new information changes my views of the Gary and Elliot "deal" which was a horrendous mess on both sides. There's plenty of fault to go around. I'll leave Instagram to the young wheeler dealers who appear to have little good to say about each other. Could be time for an Instagram Circle of Trust....though it is interesting to watch these young bucks all try to take advantage of each other. Still looking for some of that "100% honesty."

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

From roadrunner:

Yes!!!!!!

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Some have posted here how Instagram was the next messiah in selling coins.

Srsly.

@epcjimi1 said:
    Some have posted here how Instagram was the next messiah in selling coins.

Srsly.

When used in conjunction with paypal and common sense, it certainly can save you time/money. What we are seeing here is an example of someone who should be blocked from any coin selling medium.

edited June 23, 2017 11:24AM

When does Gary have time to sleep, go to school or learn to drive? Seriously? Who's bank rolling him?

@roadrunner said:
    When does Gary have time to sleep, go to school or learn to drive? Seriously? Who's bank rolling him?

The same person who allows a minor to send 1,400 wire transfers with no insurance/recourse/return policy. Talk about lack of common sense.

edited June 23, 2017 11:33AM

@basetsb said:

You can continue to defend someone you know nothing about except from what you've seen here. I made the post to give you some back story. You need to fine tune your spidey senses because they are misfiring on all cylinders here.

I wasn't so much defending Gary in the other thread as not approving of the seller's behavior....which on many levels was indefensible at least by standard ANA/PNG stated ethics. Defense vs. Offense is just a point of view. My spidey sense are fine. I didn't deal with a 13-14 yr old kid for years and not figure it out. And then calling the kid a liar when they rightly claimed they were 16. Too much. You're being blinded by your allegiance to your own buddies.

To those posting Instagram shots. If you didn't learn from the other thread, those tend to do more harm to you than they help. But for entertainment purposes....keep posting 'em as they keep the threads lively.

• NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 11:34AM

Imo, this guy Gary is building a bad reputation to younger people, esp YN. Another one wants to answer any and all questions... in public! lol!

Already the world calls millenials as "entitled"...

From the way he responds, posts and replies, it seems like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Empty vessel make more noise!

Sorry to sound harsh...

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

@roadrunner said:

@basetsb said:

I wasn't so much defending Gary in the other thread as not approving of the seller's behavior....which on many levels was indefensible at least by standard ANA/PNG stated ethics. Defense vs. Offense is just a point of view. My spidey sense are fine. I didn't deal with a 13-14 yr old kid for years and not figure it out. And then calling the kid a liar when they rightly claimed they were 16. Too much. You're being blinded by your allegiance to your own buddies.

There is fault to go around. What I am telling and you and what is factual is that Gary is a pompous 'young numismatist' who will pounce on a perceived opportunity and boast about it when it works our for him, but cry foul when it does not. I have no idea how old he is because he has been a 'young numismatist' for as long as I've seen him post things on Instagram. It is a wonder how long he will be able to use that moniker.

edited June 23, 2017 12:01PM

@basetsb said:

.....who will pounce on a perceived opportunity and boast about it when it works our for him, but cry foul when it does not.

In my 45 years in coins and interacting with hundreds of dealers and dozens of local B&M's, that sort of describes most of them. Today's Instagram reminds me of my B&M's in the 1970's. You could hardly take a step near one of those without walking into a pile of poo. It doesn't hurt though....it's just Tuition.

edited June 23, 2017 12:03PM

@FadeToBlack said:

Two threads on the first page and you're calling for a separate forum for IG? Seriously? Instagram is just another platform for buying/selling with all the caveats of buying/selling. What the OP is accusing Gary of doing here is walking by his case on the bourse, picking out a few coins and asking the dealer to set them aside while he runs to go get his checkbook, then coming back and making excuses as to why he can't pay for them. Don't act like this crap doesn't happen in person too.

2 threads.....700+ posts....16,000+ views....that's a lot time....all coming from the very "non-contractual" Instagram mode. Yes, seriously...a separate forum area could make sense for Instagram players/dealings. It's in essence another BST.

Comparing passing on a cloud-based deal where no one has the additional burden of being in the other guy's face...is very different than not completing an Instagram promise. Face-to-face promises are much less likely to be broken than ones done over the phone, internet, instagram, letters, etc. At least those are my experiences over 50 years. It's easy to hang up on someone or lie to them over the phone. Much harder to walk away from a promise made on the bourse floor...and see the other party's face over and over again in the future. Accountability hurts.

edited June 23, 2017 12:33PM

@FadeToBlack said:

Hey, the Barber coins run of threads has thousands of posts and hundreds of thousands of views, maybe Barbers should get their own separate forum.

Think back to 2009. Members complained about the "Gold and Economic Thread" (2004-2009) that was taking up too much space on one thread on the "collectors" forum. At that time it was up to 10,000 posts. The non-bullion fans didn't want to be bothered with looking at it all the time. Guess what?.... the "Precious Metals Forum" was born. There has been precedent. In fact, that particular 5 yr thread was initially formed because members complained that there were too many threads on precious metals in 2004. Crazy behavior I know in a gold and silver bull market. I'd bet the collecting faithful wish they had that bull market back again....I know the B&M's and dealers really miss it.

My original point is that it's far easier for those that deal with "less than 100% honesty" to walk away from deals that are not conducted in person. The clouds of today have spawned a $BILL industry in scamming. Thanks for the info on the animated meatball icon. I never knew what the icon meant.

edited June 23, 2017 1:03PM

@PCGSPhoto said:

@roadrunner said:
    Looks like another thread about Tuition. Maybe everyone should get off Instagram and start going to coin shows again?

Just today at the Baltimore show I ran into a couple of people who are very active on instagram. They are going to shows, but more need to of course. There is a LOT of enthusiasm for coins on instagram, but there's definitely need for a lot more education for some users. It's a whole new world out there. How we do bridge this generation gap?

Unfortunately, it seems to keep circling back to the word "Tuition" which seems to be favored by the ON's. Are these YN's enthusiastic to flip coins for income or because they are dedicated collectors? I see a lot flipping going on in these 2 threads....not much collecting. Different dynamics in YN vs YF.

@roadrunner said:

@FadeToBlack said:

Two threads on the first page and you're calling for a separate forum for IG? Seriously? Instagram is just another platform for buying/selling with all the caveats of buying/selling. What the OP is accusing Gary of doing here is walking by his case on the bourse, picking out a few coins and asking the dealer to set them aside while he runs to go get his checkbook, then coming back and making excuses as to why he can't pay for them. Don't act like this crap doesn't happen in person too.

2 threads.....700+ posts....16,000+ views....that's a lot time....all coming from the very "non-contractual" Instagram mode. Yes, seriously...a separate forum area could make sense for Instagram players/dealings. It's in essence another BST.

Comparing passing on a cloud-based deal where no one has the additional burden of being in the other guy's face...is very different than not completing an Instagram promise. Face-to-face promises are much less likely to be broken than ones done over the phone, internet, instagram, letters, etc. At least those are my experiences over 50 years. It's easy to hang up on someone or lie to them over the phone. Much harder to walk away from a promise made on the bourse floor...and see the other party's face over and over again in the future. Accountability hurts.

I literally cannot agree enough with this post.

• 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

I don't know about you, but I consider my username (and perhaps, the animated meatball) to be a part of my face and my reputation.

When I first saw your icon, I didn't think of meatball.
    I thought of the rootin-tootin raspberry from the 60's ;)

A couple of these flavors images and names were considered racist and they were changed shortly after they came out.

• OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Love everyone bashing Instagram. Often times at least 1 or 2 threads on the front page are eBay related - where's the demand for an eBay thread? Instagram is a great platform to do business but it's a good idea to steer clear of 16 year old kids with constant bad reviews & drama, regardless if you're at a show, or selling on IG. I've been selling on Instagram now for three years, I've done tens of thousands of dollars in sales and the biggest issue I ever had was ONE return due an item damaged in transit - refund issued immediately. During my thousands of transactions I have never once been scammed either as a buyer or a seller.

The internet, and social media platforms have become a part of coin collecting & dealing whether you like it or not. If you don't like reading about instagram my advice is brilliantly simple.......... don't read about it.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 2:16PM

@OwenSeymour said:
    Love everyone bashing Instagram. Often times at least 1 or 2 threads on the front page are eBay related - where's the demand for an eBay thread?

There have been plenty. I too, however, see no reason that Instagram would be any more dangerous than any other venues. My only concern is that there appear to be a disproportionate number of minors transaction without disclosure of their ages. I'm sure it happens here too though.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 2:35PM

@PCGSPhoto said:
    How we do bridge this generation gap?

• A bigger online social presence by PCGS.
    • Coin shows that aren't at the extreme ends of the continental U.S. may help with attendance.
    • Market and grow your YouTube channel -- lots of helpful and fun advice there!
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!

Anyone who was on would verify the truth that I said $250 and $240, including jwitten who was on for that part as well as the snap I included. Vivid coins was on as well, I think he created an account here too.
    You tried pulling that crap knowing full well what the prices were. You are forgetting you committed to the Walking Liberty half. I had plenty of patience but you kept pushing and pushing my limits. I told you how it was going to be if you wanted the coins and that it was all or none, you read the message and didn't reply. I did nothing wrong here and now you are upset because you didn't go through with your end of the bargain.

@FadeToBlack said:
    More smoke. Somebody's pants are on fire.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11739220/#Comment_11739220

@rainbowroosie said:
    Is this the Peace Dollar Gary backed out on?

If so, hE asked me and I said it looked AU and AT.

That is the Peace dollar. Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to grading and I was upfront and sent a lot of photos/videos and that my opinion was 62/63. I commented that I thought it was natural but I make no guarantees, if you are unhappy I will buy it back. You can even ask the person I sold it to.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those Peace dollar images are accurate...OOOF!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 4:18PM

Title of this thread should be "Ripped off by a buyer."
    Anyone have the YN's ebay ID. Gives new meaning to "wheelin' and dealin'." I have a list that needs his name.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file