Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first ancient Romans! Help identifying?

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2017 3:17PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

So I just bought my very first ancient Roman coins for $10 a piece. The small coin has amazing detail and the other is at least 84% silver and weighs 14 grams, not much detail but I thought 10 bucks for a silver Roman why not! I need help identifying them however because I have idea where to begin. Any help is appreciated! Edit: I think I got the first one! It's a commemorative bronze and depicts Romulus and Remus on the reverse.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second coin is of the Emperor Nero, probably a Syrian (provincial) coin, probably about the year 60 A.D.

• Options

First coin, probably Constantine I (308 - 338 A.D.).

• Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 8:05PM

Thank you!! Is this the same coin as mine just much better condition? Weight and diameter are almost the same and it looks like the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NERO-59AD-Antioch-Tetradrachm-Large-Ancient-Silver-Roman-Coin-Eagle-i53410-/321986911681?nma=true&si=SuP3Yi4gvXnxKV%2FMkzBqL%2BWqGo8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's crazy, I never thought I'd buy a coin from 59AD for ten bucks. Either worth sending out to be graded? I'd love to have a graded ancient coin in my collection, displays very nicely as well!

• Options
    edited June 22, 2017 8:36PM

If you go to Google Images and type in Roman coin Nero eagle, you will see many similar coins. Nero's portrait is distinctive when well-executed, so I had that advantage in knowing what to type in the search box. Since size and weight are important in determining the exact denomination, I can't readily guess on that.

If you go to Google Images and type in Roman coin Romulus Remus Wolf, you will see many similar coins also.

Please do not send these in for grading. While these coins are interesting, they are unlikely to have added value after slabbing.

Edited for spelling (freakin' spellchecker).

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2017 5:36PM

I believe your VRBS ROMA coin (if genuine) was minted in what was known as Lugdunum (now the city of Lyons, France), 332 AD.
    This is the description from wildwinds:
    "Lyons, RIC VII 257, Urbs Roma Commemorative AE3. 322 AD. VRBS ROMA, helmeted, mantled bust of Roma left / wolf and twins left, two stars above. Mintmark dot-in-crescent PLG. RIC VII Lyons 257; Sear 16491."
    wildwinds.com/coins/ric/city_commemoratives/i.html#urbsroma

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2017 11:25PM

I'd say you did very well for ten bucks apiece!

The Nero looks totally real to me.

The VRBS ROMA looks very nice. I don't see any red flags as to its authenticity, personally, but I will defer to those more knowledgeable.

The latter are common and inexpensive coins, but to get such a nicely preserved one for that price seems like a pretty good bargain to me. That's more the price you might expect to pay for a more typical example. Yours is quite well struck and high grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.