Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Set Registry Composition Card Weight

Anyone know how often PSA reevaluates the card weight that makes up the set composition ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt they do it very rarely, if at all. With almost 123,000 Registered sets, it is highly unlikely that PSA has the manpower or inclination to devote resources to look at card weights.

The bigger mystery for me, and has been since 2005, is how they assign card weights in the first place. Supposedly linked to PSA 8 cards, unless I've forgotten that post many years ago. I have several 1 of 1s that have a card weight of ONE, and others with a much higher POP with card values of 2, 3 or more points. I guess as long as we're all in the same sand box and get cards within each set weighted either rightly or wrongly, it's all kinda moot.

Pls don't get me started on the useless POP report, which became TOTALLY invalid since the inception of the half-point change at PSA. Can we say "crackouts" ?

• epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Weight is based on raw book value, not rarity or total population. It is scaled based on the lowest book value and the highest book value.

It's an assumption, but I don't believe they ever re-evaluate weights for an entire set. With that said, if you bring it to there attention that certain weights are off, they will evaluate and correct where necessary. Remember though, this is book value they use to make those determinations. Just because a card is low pop and get's hot, or has gone up in demand/value over time... does not mean the weight will be changed if that same shift isn't recognized in it's book value as a raw, ungraded, card.

An insanely priced Pop 3 card might go for serious coin today, but if 6 months or a year down the road, that same card is now a Pop 13 and the market value falls back down... that's not a logical model to use for weighting on the registry... thus, it's raw book value that is used.