Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The eternal question - To Wrap or Not to Wrap - 1987 Donruss Baseball Wax Case?

A sealed case has been offered to me for an OK price. Should I keep it sealed or wrap it up as FASC?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it sealed. The cost to ship, get boxes wrapped and return shipping would be more than any profit you could make.
    James

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

keep it sealed. you can always decide to do fasc at anytime, so keep your options in play.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    The tape on 87DR cases can become be very brittle, losing 'sticky' and seals pop open. Heat exacerbates this issue.
    if possible, cut out 1 shipping leg, directly to BBCE. Postage prices keep rising so now likely the best time. Blue shrink outside of case or 20 boxes, if you only want to keep some. I can't see 87DR going down in value anytime soon.

djr - interesting thought to wrap the case. I need to ask Steve how much that would cost.

Mike
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

i dont understand why someone would pay bbce to shrink wrap and authenticate a sealed case? esp if there is the slightest chance you might break it down into individual fasc boxes later.

i get the protection part of it while shipping, but could just saran wrap the case for storage and/or ship the case in another box.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I just picked up this unopened case also and have been debating the same question.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Unless I'm missing something that's 1991 and off a year to make sense to consider wrapping individually. Of course I wouldn't BBCE wrap 1992 either for the obvious reason but it's a nice looking case left as a case.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@muffins said:
    i dont understand why someone would pay bbce to shrink wrap and authenticate a sealed case? esp if there is the slightest chance you might break it down into individual fasc boxes later.

i get the protection part of it while shipping, but could just saran wrap the case for storage and/or ship the case in another box.

I think djr suggested that if I planned to keep the case sealed. I have seen the tape based seals on older cases pop, some type of wrap would be prudent.

As for the 1991 UD BKB, aren't those boxes already factory sealed? Depending on how much you paid for the case, that is a sneaky good buy. It looks like the PSA 10 Jordans go for at least $30 each. Between the base card and the holograms, there are plenty of Jordans to pull.

Mike
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@muffins said:

I think djr suggested that if I planned to keep the case sealed. I have seen the tape based seals on older cases pop, some type of wrap would be prudent.

As for the 1991 UD BKB, aren't those boxes already factory sealed? Depending on how much you paid for the case, that is a sneaky good buy. It looks like the PSA 10 Jordans go for at least $30 each. Between the base card and the holograms, there are plenty of Jordans to pull.

Indeed, you are correct, the boxes are individually wrapped so doesn't make sense to have them BBCE authenticated and price point probably isn't high enough anyways as rtimmer mentioned.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like djr's idea on this. That tape pops and you're out of luck 5 or 10 years down the line with respect to being able to get the individual boxes wrapped FASC. Getting the case wrapped now seems like a good insurance policy for being able to get the boxes wrapped FASC down the road.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

If your only intention is to save it and potentially someday wrap FASC then make a confirmation call to Steve about this, but you used to be able to apply your own tape as reinforcement but it cannot be hovering the old seals. As long as he can confirm the original seals were not tampered with at the contact edge points then he will still wrap the case FASC down the line. So your new duck tape saves the old seal from breaking seal. Obviously proceed with caution verifying with Steve he will still allow this and also not to straddle the the existing seal end points.