Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A NEW TWIST on Jersey Cards - My Latest Customs

mouschimouschi Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Over the past several months, I've gotten more comfortable with the idea of creating cards for my collection using the premium pieces of the jerseys I had Canseco wear.  Jumbo patches, name plates, bat barrels, cleats, laundry tags, etc. and more have been used to create cards with Refractor finishes, gold trim, cabinet cards, wood cards and canvas cards.   Shown below are a few of my favorite creations from last October until now.

While I did have Jose wear a number of jerseys, let's be honest.  Patch material is at a premium, and there is much more plain jersey material to play with than not.  This isn't 2003 anymore.  We don't typically get excited over a plain swatch.  Sooooo....I have had a thought for quite a while now, and have actually executed said thought.  More on that later in the article, though.  For now, I wanted to show a few other fun things I have done.

EVERYONE knows and loves the iconic 1993 Topps Derek Jeter card.  A hopeful teenager who didn't yet know that he was about to become the face of not only the Yankees franchise, but of baseball.  If I ever hit this card while rowing through countless 1993 Topps, I would feel like I hit the jackpot.

As a sports fan, we were treated to watching many cool players in the 80s and 90s - I thought it would neat to do a Michael Jordan to see what it would look like.  (How cool would it have been if this card actually existed?!)

1993 Topps also had another subset called "Coming Attractions".  I always liked the look of that subset better, and always wondered what Jeter would look like in that format.  Here he is (but with a different pic.)

In doing all of these, I went off the beaten path a bit, and created my own card design, called Star Power.  Since Aaron Judge is all the rage now, why not?

Here is the rainbow:

I have fallen in love with the design and colors...especially the Extreme parallel.  Might as well do the Captain, right?

If we are doing Jeter, we might as well do the next three obvious ...

UPDATE: I've gotten this question a lot: "Rey SKYWALKER??? Do you know something I don't?" The answer is ... no. Just guessing :) And thus, a new subset is born.

GUESSING GAME

it But Tanner, if you love the design so much, where is the Canseco for your collection?"

I'm glad you asked ... here it is:

NOW ... this isn't the only version of it I did.  I also did something else ... which brings us back to the whole reason for this article:  What to do with alllll of that plain white jersey material.

Well, let me just show you what I did.  (Here is an example of a design I scrapped, but I am showing you to give you an idea of where this is headed.)

Get the picture now?  :)  Here it is:  My first REAL jersey baseball card ... where the entire card is actually the jersey!  I thought it would be in good taste to show it with the background of a Rangers jersey I had him wear :)

I've also been wanting to do a gold frame card, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for it ...

Yes, the card below is also made completely from a jersey Jose wore.  I love the texture, as it isn't just a plain glossy photo, but I love it so much more because it is from his jersey.

Last, but not least, I wanted to do something more quirky that utilized a button.  We've all seen cards with buttons embedded in them.  What if the card - that was entirely already a jersey - ALSO had a button?

I figured it would be fitting to have a picture of the card I made out of his game used bat next to a card I'm making out of a jersey he wore!

Finally, here it is, framed up in my favorite A&G frame eva!

My wife and son are not sold on the Hawaiian looking frame, but I love it and think it goes well with the card ... errr ... the jersey ... errr ... the jersey card.

[url]http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2017/06/new-twist-jersey-cards.html[/url]

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Wow Tanner ... amazing stuff. I think you might have something there with the real jersey cards. Love your innovative thinking with all the cards you have designed. Keep up the good work.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever posted in your thread so I figure this is as good a time as any to tip my cap to you, Sir!

Your threads are always entertaining and visibly pleasing. It is amazing to see the creativity and follow-through you come up with.

I can't wait to see what happens with the buggy Trout!

Keep up the good work indeed!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp, inventive, work as always. Really enjoy seeing your latest and greatest creations.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

impressive creations.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • mouschimouschi Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you guys! @flcardtrader - the bug Trout card was actually a real thing. Some thought I made it :) Ryan Cracknell, the Beckett Editor asked me to get in contact with the owner so I hooked them up and he wrote a feature on it.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Incredible. I would be motivated to create one of these on my own except (1) I'm exceptionally lazy, (2) I don't have any jerseys, and (3) my wife won't let me use scissors.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 6:47AM

Those jersey cards are amazing and I love the MJ Topps. Nachooooooo!

Thank you guys! New subset "GUESSING GAME" and a Ricky Bobby was added :)

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always Tanner, some cool stuff you put together. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:
    Incredible. I would be motivated to create one of these on my own except (1) I'm exceptionally lazy, (2) I don't have any jerseys, and (3) my wife won't let me use scissors.

Funny Bob.

Mine is just plain lack of talent.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really incredible stuff Tanner.

I think you outdid yourself this time buddy.

Mike
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

@mouschi said:
    Thank you guys! @flcardtrader - the bug Trout card was actually a real thing. Some thought I made it :) Ryan Cracknell, the Beckett Editor asked me to get in contact with the owner so I hooked them up and he wrote a feature on it.

I watched the video of the pull and was hoping you would make a creation out of it. A card with a bug within a custom created card - or something like that.

Glad it got some bit of further notoriety with a story written on it as that was one crazy pull!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

very nice, as always

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

@flcardtrader said:
    "I watched the video of the pull and was hoping you would make a creation out of it. A card >with a bug within a custom created card - or something like that."

We need a bug card with Trout squished on the back! ;)

Great post as always. Really like the cleat laces card. Has that ever been done before? Either way, super cool.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I like those old Devil Ray uniforms.

@FirstBeard said:

@flcardtrader said:
    "I watched the video of the pull and was hoping you would make a creation out of it. A card >with a bug within a custom created card - or something like that."

We need a bug card with Trout squished on the back! ;)

Great post as always. Really like the cleat laces card. Has that ever been done before? Either way, super cool.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I like those old Devil Ray uniforms.

lol thanks! Yes, Panini has done the cleat laces before - some people think they are ridiculous. I think they are ridiculous...ly cool!

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Love the jersey fabric cards. very creative.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭

@mouschi said:
    Over the past several months, I've gotten more comfortable with the idea of creating cards for my collection using the premium pieces of the jerseys I had Canseco wear.  Jumbo patches, name plates, bat barrels, cleats, laundry tags, etc. and more have been used to create cards with Refractor finishes, gold trim, cabinet cards, wood cards and canvas cards.   Shown below are a few of my favorite creations from last October until now.

While I did have Jose wear a number of jerseys, let's be honest.  Patch material is at a premium, and there is much more plain jersey material to play with than not.  This isn't 2003 anymore.  We don't typically get excited over a plain swatch.  Sooooo....I have had a thought for quite a while now, and have actually executed said thought.  More on that later in the article, though.  For now, I wanted to show a few other fun things I have done.

EVERYONE knows and loves the iconic 1993 Topps Derek Jeter card.  A hopeful teenager who didn't yet know that he was about to become the face of not only the Yankees franchise, but of baseball.  If I ever hit this card while rowing through countless 1993 Topps, I would feel like I hit the jackpot.

As a sports fan, we were treated to watching many cool players in the 80s and 90s - I thought it would neat to do a Michael Jordan to see what it would look like.  (How cool would it have been if this card actually existed?!)

1993 Topps also had another subset called "Coming Attractions".  I always liked the look of that subset better, and always wondered what Jeter would look like in that format.  Here he is (but with a different pic.)

In doing all of these, I went off the beaten path a bit, and created my own card design, called Star Power.  Since Aaron Judge is all the rage now, why not?

Here is the rainbow:

I have fallen in love with the design and colors...especially the Extreme parallel.  Might as well do the Captain, right?

UPDATE: I've gotten this question a lot: "Rey SKYWALKER??? Do you know something I don't?" The answer is ... no. Just guessing :) And thus, a new subset is born.

GUESSING GAME

it But Tanner, if you love the design so much, where is the Canseco for your collection?"

NOW ... this isn't the only version of it I did.  I also did something else ... which brings us back to the whole reason for this article:  What to do with alllll of that plain white jersey material.

Well, let me just show you what I did.  (Here is an example of a design I scrapped, but I am showing you to give you an idea of where this is headed.)

Get the picture now?  :)  Here it is:  My first REAL jersey baseball card ... where the entire card is actually the jersey!  I thought it would be in good taste to show it with the background of a Rangers jersey I had him wear :)

I've also been wanting to do a gold frame card, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for it ...

Yes, the card below is also made completely from a jersey Jose wore.  I love the texture, as it isn't just a plain glossy photo, but I love it so much more because it is from his jersey.

Last, but not least, I wanted to do something more quirky that utilized a button.  We've all seen cards with buttons embedded in them.  What if the card - that was entirely already a jersey - ALSO had a button?

I figured it would be fitting to have a picture of the card I made out of his game used bat next to a card I'm making out of a jersey he wore!

My wife and son are not sold on the Hawaiian looking frame, but I love it and think it goes well with the card ... errr ... the jersey ... errr ... the jersey card.

THIS IS SICK WORK !!!

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 1:37PM

@lawyer05 said:

@mouschi said:

Here is the rainbow:

GUESSING GAME

how do u get your printer to print on the shirt and button

Thanks guys! @lawyer05 magic! LOL :)

• 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

Nice Jersey card idea. As for Rey,she is both a Skywalker and Kenobi.