Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identifying German Medal...

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2017 11:58AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I picked this up at an antique mall a few years back and cant figure out what it is. I don't know any German so I cant translate it and I don't know the date. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try google German to English translator.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 5:45AM

My German is terrible anymore, but the medal is from Munich (the Monk before the city gate is the city logo). The reverse legend is very roughly something like "Munich domestic and labor foundation is (recognized) by A. G. Mascher" which is likely a company. I put the one word in (...) because I'm not sure of it. Date is probably mid to late 1930s to early WWII years. I think this is close, but I'm sure/hope someone will be along directly to correct my too long ago high school German. Interesting piece in any case.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help on what it is, but it's interesting for sure.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse: Munich, the capital of the [Nazi] movement.
    Reverse: Munich service and workers foundation, founded by A.G. Mascher.

The same design medal was asked about and received complete answers on the NGC boards a few years back.

An example here sold in silver for 35 Euros in Dec 2016.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 12:00PM

Thank you that helps! That was my post on the NGC board. I forgot I posted it there or I would not have posted this thread.