Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many card shows and card shops still exist?

When I was younger, my dad and I were selling at shows almost every weekend. And there were shops all over.

Now, I have neither in my area. Just wondered if that was the case all over the globe in the eBay era, or if big cities still had a decent amount.

Comments

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

ft lauderdale has a show once a month

• Options

I don't know how many card shows are out there. But I'm worried about the future of card shows. The last 2 card shows I've been to in Rosemont Illinois have been ghost towns. Both of these shows were sponsored by Fanatics and were both heavily promoted. The National show is in Rosemont this July and I'm hoping for a better turnout with vendors and customers. Seems like Ebay have taken the steam out of card shows.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

There is a great monthly card show in Ct in Plainville, There are also monthly ones in Meriden (which is pretty pathetic) and Enfield. As for shops I know of 3 in CT, one in Southington, Canton, and Kensington. They are all in Central CT and within 20 minutes of each other.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    CVHJOS9CVHJOS9 Posts: 30 ✭✭

I live in the Coachella Valley, Palm springs CA. we got 3 card shops. 2 own by a husband and wife and a new one open in a high traffic mall. But they both seem to survive selling non-sports card stuff like Funko's and Magic cards

Looking for LA Rams Rookie cards PSA 10's, 1990 and prior please.

Ebay seller: cvhjos9
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 4:23PM

Here in MA i can remember about 10 different shops in this area around 2002-03 and now there are only 3 left that I know of with 2 of those owned by the same owner. And I think those 2 shops survived probably from comics & nonsport items. Then we had small card shows every other sunday but that died out as well with ebay. I agree with WBWSF,ebay kind of killed the card shop. Why rent space for a shop when you can make just as much money from home on ebay without paying out monthly rental fees for a card shop.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Card shows are great. Prefer seeing cards up close vice dealing with poor pics poor condition descriptions on ebay...and the shows....if good....have competition inside the venue...making it better to compete a deal as a buyer

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 Shops in DFW. 1 in the state of Arkansas. So it really depends on the area

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Couple monthly/bi-monthly shows in northern Virginia and the regional Chantilly show 3x a year. Not sure about card shops.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

No card shows in SoCal anymore, 2 vintage shows in Northern California.
    Probably 3-5 card shops in LA, but none worth putting money in a parking meter for, unfortunately.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

To add to the SoCal list - there are two in Orange County I know of. One in Tustin and another in Lake Forest. Both are survivors from the boom. Very nice owners.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

They still have shows at the Gibraltar Trade Center in Mount Clemens, MI once a month or so.

• Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

A few shops (3 that I know of) in Jacksonville, FL. All on opposite sides of town. I only go to the one closet to me. They have also carry board games and other gaming cards, but have decent vintage and current. Used to be a monthly show but I haven't been in a year or so.

Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    CumberlandCumberland Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'd have to disagree about the Fanatics Show in Rosemont. Attendance was down for the last show in March but it was not a ghost town. The November show was a mob scene with a line to get into the place going down the escalator and into the parking lot. There are also several small one-day shows in the Chicago area including Orland Park, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, Bloomingdale and Elgin/West Dundee. Then there are a few shows a short drive from Chicago in places like Rockford, IL; Highland, Ind.; and Milwaukee. I attend one of these shows most every weekend.

• Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

I'm not really sure what killed the hobby for the next generation. I grew up in the 80s and 90s (born in 1980) and there were card shops and shows all around when I was a kid.

I got disenchanted by the sudden influx of what seemed like a million new types of cards flooding the market in the early/mid-90s. Maybe the next generation felt the same way, so they avoided collecting because they didn't know what to buy. I decided to focus on collecting vintage cards instead. Turned out to be a good choice, since I grew up in the junk era, and almost all of those cards are worth nothing, especially if they are ungraded.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@Cumberland said:
    I'd have to disagree about the Fanatics Show in Rosemont. Attendance was down for the last show in March but it was not a ghost town. The November show was a mob scene with a line to get into the place going down the escalator and into the parking lot. There are also several small one-day shows in the Chicago area including Orland Park, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, Bloomingdale and Elgin/West Dundee. Then there are a few shows a short drive from Chicago in places like Rockford, IL; Highland, Ind.; and Milwaukee. I attend one of these shows most every weekend.

Absolutely agree. I live in a Chicago suburb and there are quite a number of shows that are put on regularly.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Cubbies1416 said:
    I'm not really sure what killed the hobby for the next generation. I grew up in the 80s and 90s (born in 1980) and there were card shops and shows all around when I was a kid.

I got disenchanted by the sudden influx of what seemed like a million new types of cards flooding the market in the early/mid-90s. Maybe the next generation felt the same way, so they avoided collecting because they didn't know what to buy. I decided to focus on collecting vintage cards instead. Turned out to be a good choice, since I grew up in the junk era, and almost all of those cards are worth nothing, especially if they are ungraded.

Welcome to the forum!

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

Card shows and shops don't exist for the most part because the audience you can sell to is much wider on eBay. It's as simple as that. Even the shops/card shows that do exist are completely watered down. The cards you see for sale are generally the junk they don't want to bother selling on eBay. Cards with condition/centering issues etc. Additionally, you can almost always find much better prices on eBay.

I still go to card shows and seldomly a card shop but I tend to have a difficult time spending money unless it is at the bigger Try-Star type shows.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

We have a monthly show in Springfield, IL and a card shop but both are pretty slow. The shop has some wax every week but sells out quickly and no singles to speak of. The show is mostly limited to what guys who sell have recently ripped open except for the occasional collector who sets up to liquidate. Very sad as I enjoy buying things in person but the market has gone to eBay for the most part.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I know a card shop owner in middle TN. :):)

Don't let anybody tell you card shops are impossible. Come visit ours and I will prove it.

https://nashvillecardshop.com

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I believe the key in today's hobby is to own the building you're operating in, and/or have outside income to supplement expenses, plus have some kind of online presence (eBay, website, et cetera). Zero card shops in my area.

• Options
    ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭

Griffins,

Weren't you promoting a show in Culver City a few years back? I remember it was a great show and a lot of fun. I've been living overseas the past few years, but was looking to attend another one of your shows when I came back later this year. You still putting it on? Thanks.

Alan

• Options
    tedh111tedh111 Posts: 258

In New Jersey we still have quite a few shows and stores... I know I have at least 12 competitors within an hour drive .

www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ