Home Sports Talk
Options

The headfirst slide is just stupid

dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
edited June 20, 2017 10:31AM in Sports Talk

Too many injuries. They say it is more efficient as you get to the base faster by a few milliseconds. Unless it's the playoffs, I say it's not worth it. Mike Trout tore thumb ligaments sliding into second when there was not even a close play. Kevin Keirmeir (sp) is out for the year sliding headfirst into first. Now the Yankees #1 prospect, Glaybar Torres, is out for the year sliding head first in home. Into home? Really? I see other players do this all the time too. The few milliseconds is not worth the potential for injury. Players should be instructed to slide feet first. I was always taught the pop-up slide where I could slide and be back on my feet immediately in case of a bad throw. The guys who slide headfirst can't do that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 8:02AM

Head first slide is more for show than efficiency. Game is very slow and dare I say boring in the digital age. Give the fan a bit of excitement with his $100 night out.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 11:01AM

the only time I can see a head-first slide being a detriment is when going to first, it seems that a player would get there faster by staying on his feet and accelerating. with 2nd, 3rd and home it makes sense in some instances to go head-first, especially home plate. there have been numerous instances where a runner has adjusted his line to the plate, slid head first and tagged the plate with an outstretched hand as he goes by. something like that cannot be done feet first and if tried, would be a high risk of injury play.

I will add that there is a trend right now where players are wearing a mitt on there "tagging" hand that will be used for a head-first slide. by the OP's own admission it is faster and the players know it. they employ the technique and have started to protect themselves.

coinstartled, your reply is ignorant fluff that is becoming common-place for you.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

it depends on how the play develops as to whether I slide feet first or head first, too many variables .

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Joe Girardi now hates the head first slide. He instructed Judge to slide feet first from now on. He made a nice hard, feet first, slide into third last night going 1st to 3rd on an infield error. He's so big that even sliding he was almost as tall as the third baseman.