Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

coins under $10

please post your favourite coin from your collection worth less than $10.

my dad says that he will take a photo of my favourite coin when he has more time. he will post it here.

Comments

• Options

1980 Swiss 1/2 Franc:

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picking one is tough! So I'll show you a few I've taken pictures of recently.

This is Japanese, from 1939. In this condition/slabbed it's more than $10, but the catalog value for a decent uncirculated is not expensive. The Japanese coins are dated using a 'regnal' system or by era. In modern times each era corresponds with Emperor--in the past an Emperor might see several eras. This coin was named for 'Showa' and it was the 14th year of his reign. To make it even more complicated, sometimes the coin dates are read from left to right, and sometimes right to left like this one. The denomination is a '10 sen', now obsolete since World War II.

Here is another coin, a type still used. The era is still Showa, but now in 1974, and year 49. It's a 5 yen coin, and is literally pocket change, roughly 5 cents depending on exchange rates. This one I picked up for a dollar or so, I have no idea where it acquired the toning from, but it made an ordinary coin interesting. This coin is read left to right.

Some other favorites I have pictures of...

Brazil

Australia

Somalia (because I like the dog)

Iceland

Is your Dad going to add an account? It would be nice to see him posting again!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have an image of any of these but I would include the 1943-1955 20 centavos from Mexico. And there are others

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options
    edited June 23, 2017 5:06PM

• Options
    edited July 5, 2017 5:49PM

deleted

• Options