Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

There's a light-side coin I want to buy...

For you currently purely dark-sider collectors, do you ever get the itch to buy a US coin again? A few minutes ago, on Facebook of all places, I saw an advertisement from a prominent dealer a US type coin that is one of my favorites in a grade and price range that is within my target. It even was in the right TPG holder with the coveted sticker. Best of all, it also has nice eye appeal.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

:smiley: well OK, since summer is coming but don't tell anyone

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I play both sides with a common theme - trade coinage - so this happens now and then to me as well. I say if it’s a coin you will enjoy go for it. Checks all the boxes as described above.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still buy US when the right opportunity presents itself. It's all about throwing out the big net... One doesn't know what is out there unless there is a reasonable search. And there is a skill involved knowing what to keep based on price, rarity , condition rarity and how often one will have the chance buy the coin with all the desired characteristics again.

Govern yourself accordingly... :)

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Not often, but yes (and I'm not counting 90%). I still have a 7070 to work on and IIRC I've put 3 or 4 coins in it this year already! (One was not super cheap and in PCGS plastic. The dealer who sold it to me in Baltimore gave me quite the side eye when I said I was cracking it for an album :smiley: ).

I even picked up a bunch of US numismatic books from a local auction house--not super cheap but it was a deal, so who knows where that may lead.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses.

I should add: there's always too many coins that catch my eye, but with an Everyman budget I need to be disciplined. And, there's still plenty of dark-side coins on my want list, even in my core area of pursuit, that will blow my budget.

I thInk for now I'll have to keep thinking about that light-side coin.

EVP

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like US coins, though I'm jaded. My tastes run to 19th century type, especially early proofs and Draped Bust coins. I'm much more into exonumia than previously. Colonials still intrigue me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a number of liteside coins I'd like to buy (or re-buy) but they'd take budget away from my main focus of ancients so I've held myself back. I've come reeeeally close recently to pressing that bid button. Must. stay. focused.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

There are three coins on my wish list right now, and oddly enough, two are US.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I still look for the coins that I know are way under appreciated in the 2 areas that I focused on for many years (Seated quarters and Barber halves). I have found that they are as hard to find as they were when I collected them, even if their price doesn't reflect it.

So spill, what coin are you looking at??? Or should we guess :D. I'm going with draped bust large cent.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 5:04PM

I very slowly still add to my capped bust half dime and half dollar sets.

But they are generally not huge purchases and are quite sporadic compared to my medieval pursuits.

I actually find other darkside material far more tempting than American coins... ancient Greek, Roman, Chinese cash coins, French feudal, German bracteats, Islamic, the list goes on. All are fairly cheap to get into to... Can only collect so many things though before you just end up with a gigantic accumulation that takes up your whole house/cabinet/safe/SDB.

@Stork said:
    So spill, what coin are you looking at??? Or should we guess :D. I'm going with draped bust large cent.

If this is directed at me, I'm still debating the coin. I may even look at it at the Baltimore show...

edited June 19, 2017 5:39AM

Yep you :). Just being nosy. It's a professional hazard. I wouldn't say no to a nice, original draped bust of any denomination actually.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2017 8:21AM

It's different if you are a multi-country dark-sider or one-country dark-sider, but it can make sense to get a light-side coin either way:

• For multi-country dark-siders, the US is just another country so it's fine and I treat it that way.
    • For a one-country dark-sider, US coins may not fit the collecting focus, but I'll occasionally get fun coins outside of my main focus just to have fun.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go for it! You only live once.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    Go for it! You only live once.

Totally forgot about that coin. Just as well, since I don't have the spare funds anyway. (See my other thread.)

Well, if you forgot about it, then there's your answer right there :smile: (now off to look at your other thread).

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hae a wee softspot for 3c and $3 coins.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba said:
    I hae a wee softspot for 3c and $3 coins.

The upcoming Legend Regency auction has some killer 3CS pieces.

On a side note, I just noticed your signature. My condolences to the passing of your Seryozha.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what was the coin you were debating on purchasing?!?

@ShadyDave said:
    So what was the coin you were debating on purchasing?!?

An 1837 50c PCGS MS63 CAC.