Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who struck the 1875 Battle of Lexington Centennial, HK-18, in white metal?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 9, 2017 11:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Battle of Lexington Centennial So-Called Dollar (SCD) was issued in 4 metals including gold, silver and bronze struck by the US Mint along with white metal which was struck outside the mint. It's interesting that while the medals were struck by the US Mint, the dies were made by Henry Mitchell of Boston using a design by Rev. Edward Griffin Porter of Lexington. Henry Mitchell was a die sinker, gem engraver and, according to this post, "made all the dies for the stamped envelopes of the United States for a great many years."

Some questions about this:

• Do we know who struck the white metal pieces? Were they done by Henry Mitchell?
  • Are there estimates of how many white metal pieces were struck, holed and unholed?
  • Do these dies still exist?
  • This is also the first I've come across the US Mint using dies made by others. How often was this done?

Here some info from So-CalledDollars.com:

• HK-16 Silver. Proof. 38mm. Julian CM-24. 100 struck. Sold for $3.00.
  • HK-17 Bronze. Proof. Julian CM-24. 200 struck. Sold for $1.00.
  • HK-18 White Metal. Proof. Struck outside of US Mint. Sold for $1.50 unpierced, 50 cents pierced
  • HK-1004 Gold. Julian CM-24. Proof. 4 struck. Sold for $30.00.

Comments

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The Battle of Lexington Centennial So-Called Dollar (SCD) was issued in 4 metals including gold, silver and bronze struck by the US Mint along with white metal which was struck outside the mint. It's interesting that while the medals were struck by the US Mint, the dies were made by Henry Mitchell of Boston using a design by Rev. Edward Griffin Porter of Lexington. Henry Mitchell was a die sinker, gem engraver and, according to this post, "made all the dies for the stamped envelopes of the United States for a great many years."

• Do we know who struck the white metal pieces? Were they done by Henry Mitchell?
    • Are there estimates of how many white metal pieces were struck, holed and unholed?
    • This is also the first I've come across the US Mint using dies made by others. How often was this done?

The white metal pieces were probably done by Peter Krider, whose Philadelphia
    firm handled orders for medals using metals not used by the Mint. I have not seen
    any estimates for the number of white metal pieces. The dies might still exist in the
    Lexington city archives or a local museum.

It was quite common for outside artists, especially after 1873, to prepare dies that
    were used by the Mint. Mitchell, for example, did quite a few. Even Christian Gobrecht
    did several private medal dies before he became an engraver at the Mint.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2017 9:37AM

@denga said:

@Zoins said:

The white metal pieces were probably done by Peter Krider, whose Philadelphia
    firm handled orders for medals using metals not used by the Mint. I have not seen
    any estimates for the number of white metal pieces. The dies might still exist in the
    Lexington city archives or a local museum.

It was quite common for outside artists, especially after 1873, to prepare dies that
    were used by the Mint. Mitchell, for example, did quite a few. Even Christian Gobrecht
    did several private medal dies before he became an engraver at the Mint.

Great info @denga. Good to know Peter Krider handled Mint orders in alternate medals.

Does the Mint still take outside commissions for striking medals? My thought would be "no" but I haven't heard/read know that definitively.

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Does the Mint still take outside commissions for striking medals? My thought would be "no" but I haven't heard/read know that definitively.

The Mint stopped striking private medals, such as school awards, in 1948. It may
    be that semi-official medals (such as a city centennial) were struck after that date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file