Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hairline scratches

Are these scratches from cleaning or wear?

we

ar

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Since some of the hairlines are arced, I'm inclined to wear, perhaps even exaggerated by counting machines.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the wear camp as well.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Wear in my opinion. The depth and width of the scratches is too different for a cleaning. Also the scratches look like they are in the field and do not seem to continue to across the face.

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Considering how so many appear straight and parallel, I'm in the cleaned camp!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bankerbob56 said:

+1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Bankerbob56 said:

+1

Every coin that has been cleaned has the same width and direction of hairlines. He dollar has the hairlines but I did not any distinct pattern in and the depth and with are different in many places.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures of the entire coin would be helpful instead of, or in addition to, the close-ups.
    Lance.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, this coin shows a little of each. You all know this but @FellintoOblivion and other new posters may not. I was taught that those tiny, flashy, hair-like lines are called hairlines. I once thought that any hairlines (HL) on a coin resulted from improper handling or cleaning. Then I learned that there are two basic types - random and parallel.

Random HL are distracting but OK. They can lower the grade and eye-appeal but a coin with them can still be straight graded. Coins as high as MS-64 may have a patch that is only visible when the coin is in the "right" orientation to the light. HL's like that are the main reason a gem looking coin is only graded MS-64. Washington quarters and Merc dimes are commonly seen examples.

Parallel HL's are usually a sign of cleaning or a "wipe." I don't have time to explain cleaning HL's here however this is a start:

1. There are two basic types of cleaning, mechanical and chemical.
    2. HL's are caused by mechanical action (cleaning).
    3. Mechanical cleaning that produces HL's occurs in degrees from improper drying (causing HL) to buffing.
    4. The amount of HL from cleaning that affect a coins grade is a subjective thing.
    5. Therefore, TPGS will straight grade obviously HL'ed coins. Coins with lots of hairlines can still grade as high as 62.

There is a good starter guide printed with the dollar coins in the ANA Grading guide. HL are also discussed in the introduction to several grading guides.

The "bad" hairlines can be seen in the forth image from the top under "Trust."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file