Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An interesting discussion of a slabbed fake of a Caligula drachm

STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
edited June 8, 2017 3:02PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This analysis appeared on the Forum Ancient Coin board over the past couple of days. Just reinforces that caveat emptor is still operative whether the coin is in plastic or not and it's still important to know your dealer or the coin (or better yet know both).

forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=111723.0

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

The thread either requires a login or has been pulled.

But yes, to further reinforce your point, your authenticity guarantee for ancient coins in NGC slabs comes from your dealer, NOT from NGC. That being said, having Barry Murphy and David Vagi lay eyes upon any given coin should eliminate all but the most deceptive forgeries.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CIVITAS said:
    The thread either requires a login or has been pulled.

But yes, to further reinforce your point, your authenticity guarantee for ancient coins in NGC slabs comes from your dealer, NOT from NGC. That being said, having Barry Murphy and David Vagi lay eyes upon any given coin should eliminate all but the most deceptive forgeries.

You have to be logged in to view it. It's still there :smile:

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

@CIVITAS said:

That being said, having Barry Murphy and David Vagi lay eyes upon any given coin should eliminate all but the most deceptive forgeries.

I'm sure that's generally true. However, it's worth logging in to see the thread since this appears to be a fairly valuable coin and one would think would it have received extra scrutiny. It doesn't appear that it took the OPer a lot of effort to not only link the slabbed coin to other identified fakes but even to id some die "enhancements" that the forgers made along the way. The FAC forum participants have some folks with an incredible knowledge base in many arcane areas and I thought this was an interesting analysis worth sharing as well as a cautionary tale...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

Hmm, I don't even know if I have a login there. I will take a look because I am curious.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

I created a login to view. Overall good detective work done by the OP. However, the "L" coin and "NGC" coin are the same coin. Differences in lighting angle and exposure make it look slightly different, but if you look at the overall toning pattern on each, it's exactly the same. The only difference is the toning spots on the neck, which could easily be added (deliberately or accidentally) in the 10 years between it's first appearance and second appearance. The weight anomaly is just a typo on either NGC's or the cataloger's part. It doesn't change the authenticity though, as it is still obviously somehow derived from the "S" specimen and is certainly a cast of some kind.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.