Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Goldberg sale Israel key gold coin listing error : 1964 Bank Proof described & sold as UNC

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/56/lot/116678/

Generally all Israel gold coins are issued as Proof with the exception of the 1964 Bank of Israel which was issued as both Unc and Proof. The Proof coin is distinguishable by the "mem" which denotes mekushat in Hebrew. Otherwise, there is no mirror like appearance to the proof version that really sets it apart, as both are commemoratives never meant for circulation.

However, the notable difference is in the original mintage, with the Proof coin only 841 coins issued, making it the key to the entire early Gold series. The uncirculated version mintage was 5,975. The listed value is quite dramatic, $650 in unc vs. $2350 in proof.

Goldberg's auction sold the Proof coin with a description for the more common Unc. Only the image tells the truth!

Buyer should be thrilled, if he is aware.

If you were the consignor, would you request the transaction be cancelled for erroneous cataloging?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, but why is it considered a proof? Isn't it just a variety?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

It's only a 'proof ' because that's what Israel Govt Coins & Medals Corp. thought would work for marketing back in 1964.

On this coin there really is no difference at all....on some of the non-gold issues there can be

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a couple of these proofs

• Options

The proof Menorah coin is quite elusive as it DOESN'T bear the "mem", and the proof characteristic is not always obvious. I would call it semi-reflective fields. Nevertheless, it used to be a highly sought after coin bringing $2000. Today it is available but the collectors for it are as scarce as the coin.

Still a good pick up for you, the prices realized quite affordable! kol hakavod

• Options

atom - thank you. Agree with your insights and the tricky proof designation. As most show up in MS condition, I decided to buy both of the PF-65s. I may be the only guy seeking these yet given the neglect of the market/collectors it is actually a challenge to find well preserved pieces - set is expanding here - https://coins.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=1511

• Options

an affordable yet rewarding set to collect!
    do you only seek the silver commemoratives?

• Options

I will pursue choice pieces in the early statehood 25 Mils-Pruta series, yet not the series, in particular would like to onbe day find a GEM 25 Mils. Otherwise, silver commemoratives, yet was very close to buying the 1967 victory gold which is quite an appealing design imh. Silver keeps costs within reason, and I will likely stay in the 1948-1970 range with a few exceptions. I also did buy a lot 4 Liberata MS-67 graded medals which resemble the Judaea Capta ancient design -

• Options

Those are interesting as they were edge marked as "approved government issue " before the state of Israel edge inscription was used.

Did you buy the large israel liberation medals? Those are truly rare, with plugs, etc. and a good buy. (Lot 1885)

• Options

Finding a 25 mils 1948 in ms65 will be tough. I've seen a handful of high grades over the years. The planchets are prone to marks before striking.

• Options

Saw these in catalog yet don't have a clue as to what they are. Design wise, I like!

• Options

@Zohar said:
    I will pursue choice pieces in the early statehood 25 Mils-Pruta series, yet not the series, in particular would like to onbe day find a GEM 25 Mils. Otherwise, silver commemoratives, yet was very close to buying the 1967 victory gold which is quite an appealing design imh. Silver keeps costs within reason, and I will likely stay in the 1948-1970 range with a few exceptions. I also did buy a lot 4 Liberata MS-67 graded medals which resemble the Judaea Capta ancient design -

I have this coin but in gold -might you have an idea of its worth? Or where I can find more info?