Home Sports Talk
Options

The media and the Golden State Warriors.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is it that the media seems to be in Love with the concept of "Dynasty" and the next Greatest Team of All Time that they can hang that tag on?? It isn't just right now with Basketball, it takes place at the close of pretty much every season with every sport. It even filters into this chat-room with the constant chatter about GOAT which we engage in. It is fun and can be interesting, but sometimes perspective can be lost.

Enter the Golden State Warriors.

No one can doubt what they have accomplished during the past three seasons, all it takes is a quick glance at the regular season won/lost ledger and the playoffs. The Team on the court this season has been scary good, and sadly for my Cavaliers, appears to be searching for a peak. Maybe that was last Sunday, maybe it will be tonight, maybe in Game Four. But in the whole scheme of things I wonder if they are due all that the media likes to credit them with in terms of "Dynasty" even though that term hasn't been used much.............................yet. When/if they polish off Cleveland it will no doubt raise its ugly head.

I guess my different perspective is rooted not so much in how good they are this season but in how good the media loves to credit them with being in the past two seasons/finals. Looking at 2015 when the Warriors won for the first time it would be easy to make the argument that they were fortunate to back in. Cleveland was without 40% of their starting lineup(think about that for a minute) and the first two games went into overtime. In 2016 they had a commanding 3-1 lead and lost, with two of the final games being played at Home. For 2017 they had to sign a player who is arguably the best in the League/MVP to get them where they are. A Dynasty doesn't do the sort of things, do they?? Don't they conquer and overcome adversity in a manner more like the New England Patriots always seem to do. I guess things are different in each Sport and Basketball is sort of unique since their are only five starters.

This is an important series for the Warriors, they almost need to roll over the Cavs for the sake of the media. The media loves a Dynasty storyline and they appear ready to embrace one. Tonight's game should be pretty intense because I think each player on each Team knows what's at stake. I would go as far as to say that this is the pivotal game of the series, the season and the Legacy of Golden State.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree keets. Even if the Warriors win this series, which they probably will I would not consider them a Dynasty. Like Jalen Rose said when this was brought up before...."give it 4 or 5 more years". Going to the Finals 3 years in a row and winning 2 does not make a Dynasty. It is although quite a feat.

The Packers of the 60's. the Steelers of the 70's, the Cowboys of the 90's.....yes. And the Pat's of the 2000's....yes.

The Celtics of the 60-80's, the Bulls of the 90's.....yes.

• Options

landmark agreement between us!!!!! :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The media destroys everything in its quest for ratings and the allmighty dollar. Cut that cord too , make a point not to watch it maybe we can starve them out.

• Options

in January we started with the FireStick and now get the weekly calls/letters from Spectrum.

• Options

@keets said:
    in January we started with the FireStick and now get the weekly calls/letters from Spectrum.

Yes come back come back we are prepared to offer you an incredibly complex package to get you back. Just sign here for 1/2 priced basic cable for 7.5 months, 3/4 priced HBO for 4.3 months, phone service for 11.1 months , and throttled 1/4 speed internet for 6 months . Just call and cancel by a certain day or you will be locked in for 15 years at full price. Is your firstborn available for indentured servitude? If so we can give you showtime also

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you have brought up is not limited to sports. It is everywhere. Politics, business, entertainment, religion, etc. People are constantly bombarded with information and sensory overload screaming "Look at me".

To participate is detrimental. Turn things off and ignore the blather.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    What you have brought up is not limited to sports. It is everywhere. Politics, business, entertainment, religion, etc. People are constantly bombarded with information and sensory overload screaming "Look at me".

To participate is detrimental. Turn things off and ignore the blather.

Well said!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

GSW/Durant get hammered for the move. But reality is a lot of Ws contributions over last 3 years are from guys they actually drafted. Curry, Klay, Dray, Barnes, Ezeli, Clark, McCaw. Sprinkle in some vets, Iggy, Livingston, Bogut, Javale, West. Not any different from any other team. Not like Boston or Miami didn't pull big name Free Agents to get their runs...multiples at that. GSW was beneficiary of circumstance with Steph's injury/contract and cap rules allowing them to scoop KD. Plus the unselfishness of guys wanting rings more than a few more million.

Plus, I'm pretty sure GSW wasn't the only team pursuing KD. And if Harden doesn't leave OKC for max money, they'd have been another force in the West utilizing great draft picks, and likely would be competing strong in the West with GSW and SA...and likely wouldn't have lost KD.

I also rarely hear it mentioned that LBJ leaving Cleveland may have been the best thing for them, considering he came back once they got strong draft picks in Kyrie and Wiggins, that his departure enabled. Nor how he's largely been the best player/coach/GM since his return. They scooped Korver, Deron and Bogut just to counter GSW/KD. Bogut injury was big. He'd have made a huge difference in this series.

And while NE has been great, they clearly leverage both strong drafting with stellar FA acquisitions, plus a little unselfishness from both key and support players who want to be a part of something special.

Of course with 24/7 news cycle you either have to push them to the top or drag em down just to get views. Both are silly. Lots of great teams in NBA history, like all sports. Comparing decades is pure fun and speculation. Personally I think Detroit, Bulls, Lakers, and Celtics...and Cleveland (specifically with Bogut) are in the conversation for competing with this Warriors team. Who'd win? Who knows? But Cavs are the only team they'll face so any other opinions are pure conjecture.

The Warriors made a pretty awesome cake (draft picks), and frosting (well priced vets)...KD was just the cherry on top. Granted, a sweet cherry dusted in chocolate and powdered sugar. But a different cherry could've surely gummed up the works. It's a testament to the Stars and KD that they've been able to work together so well. And that should be applauded instead of demonized.

But to your point...Dynasty? Not yet. I think you need to win 3-4 Championships in a 10 year period and still compete deep in that period when not winning. 3/3 in appearances and possibly 2/3 in wins is a great start but they'll need another 1-2 rings AND at least a few more WC/NBA Finals if not winning, to call it a dynasty.

That said, LBJ is a one man dynasty in his own right. The guy is just crazy good. I grew up in Magic/Bird/MJ era, and I didn't think I'd ever see better. King might be that guy, and Ibthink he can assemble a team that scoops another 1-2 rings before he's done.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

if you consider what both Cleveland and Golden State have accomplished in the past three years it is reasonable for either to be looked at the way the media likes to talk about dominance. certainly moreso with Golden State due to their season records and probable second title, but for any Team to reach the finals repeatedly is a feat. what I think really sets up the "Dynasty" is to repeat. neither Team has done that. the most recent were the MJ Chicago Bulls, but as Dimeman points out Jordan left to interrupt a 60's type of run.

• Options

@keets said:
    if you consider what both Cleveland and Golden State have accomplished in the past three years it is reasonable for either to be looked at the way the media likes to talk about dominance. certainly moreso with Golden State due to their season records and probable second title, but for any Team to reach the finals repeatedly is a feat. what I think really sets up the "Dynasty" is to repeat. neither Team has done that. the most recent were the MJ Chicago Bulls, but as Dimeman points out Jordan left to interrupt a 60's type of run.

But the Bull's still had 2 3-petes in a 8 year period......that is pretty dominating. I really believe they would have won those 2 years in the middle, but we will never know. 8 would have been the max because after that last win the whole team made a mass exidous(sp).

• Options

I wonder if they got tired of success!!!

• Options

@keets said:
    I wonder if they got tired of success!!!

I think Jordan retired and the team owner moved a bunch out. Can't remember exactly.

They went from great to less than also rans and really haven't been must to speak of since.

Although they did get better getting rid of Rose and picking up Rhondo and Butler has started playing good.

They gave Boston what for the first 2 games of round 1 until they lost Rhondo. But they were the 8 seed and didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs.

They play the whole season to see which half of the teams get to go to the playoffs. What a crock!!!!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

The most interesting part of the East Season was which team would take the 8 seed. Cavs getting 2 seed was distant second. Not that it would have changed the outcome. Though Cavs 1 vs Chicago 8 would've at least been entertaining match, despite it still likely being a 4-0 or 4-1 series.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2017 7:40PM

Wonder if the Warriors will visit the White House*

*assuming they win the title.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2017 3:46AM

assuming they win the title

I would have to say there's less than a 7% chance of Golden State losing the series!! a collapse now would rise above even last season's monumental choke-job, cause the media to have a hysterical hissy fit, Lebron James would probably have a mid-court heart attack at game's end, the celebration in downtown Cleveland would be visible from the Space Station, the PCGS Sports Forum would shut down the internet and Keets would be heard and seen running naked in the streets of Madison Village.

hey, we can always Hope!!! :)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Keets would be heard and seen running naked in the streets

it is way too early in the morning for this

• Options

@keets said:
    assuming they win the title

I would have to say there's less than a 7% chance of Golden State losing the series!! a collapse now would rise above even last season's monumental choke-job, cause the media to have a hysterical hissy fit, Lebron James would probably have a mid-court heart attack at game's end, the celebration in downtown Cleveland would be visible from the Space Station, the PCGS Sports Forum would shut down the internet and Keets would be heard and seen running naked in the streets of Madison Village.

hey, we can always Hope!!! :)

I don't think it would bother the media , their bandwagon has reverse too. They probably wrote all the stories for both eventualities already. Just like the Hillary Clinton wins newsweak magazines they are all printed and ready to go.