Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT: My Son Got a Foul Ball on Sunday &....UPDATE: Karma Kicked In

IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2017 7:29AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

As a bit of background, for nearly 15 years, I've had a Sunday Season Ticket Plan at Camden Yards. In all these years, I can count the # of foul balls that came close to us on one hand. Anyways on Sunday, Andrew Benintendo of the Red Sox in the 5th inning hit a shot that initially landed in the section next to us and due to some fan mishandling, rolled down our row and my son snagged it (among a sea of other hands).
Since the ball wasn't hit by an Oriole and that he didn't catch it on the fly, he decided to give it to a young boy sitting in front of us who was decked in Red Sox gear. It turns out that it was his birthday and that it was his first visit to Camden Yards. My son reminded me that in his first game at Camden Yards, back in 1998, someone gave him a foul ball (off the bat of the Rangers' Luis Alicea) and he still has it on a shelf to this day.
To cap off the day, my son got his reward as a good friend of ours surprised him by making him a housewarming blanket (he recently purchased his first home) out of old Oriole Tee Shirts of mine.

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

That little boy is never going to forget such a kind gesture from a total stranger...thank you so much for sharing something positive in a world filled with negativity...you raised your son well!!!

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That is a really nice thing to do. Kudos to your son and to you for such a kind, noble gesture.

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Amazing story, thanks for sharing.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

very nice

Lets go O's!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a terrific thing that your son did. Thanks for sharing such a nice story.

Love the blanket of t-shirts. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. That other kid does not look very happy.............lol

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Very cool. That other kid does not look very happy.............lol

The sadistic part of me enjoyed that too

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story Bill!

Very generous of your son.

Mike
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great gesture. Always nice to read Good News such as this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Bill ... great thing your son did. As as been said, that boy will probably keep that ball for the rest of his life. Tell your son he done good!!! :)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Sounds like your son has a good Father! Cool to hear he had the same experience when he was younger; way to pay it forward.

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

This is the kind of news I am dying to hear! Well done, Bill!

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    Sounds like your son has a good Father! Cool to hear he had the same experience when he was younger; way to pay it forward.

+1. Kudos to your son! That is an awesome gesture on his part. And very cool that he remembered that someone did that for him too.

Steve
  • TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Very nice gesture. I like this!

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

I just thought I'd provide an update to this story to hopefully prove there is such a thing as Karma....Two weeks ago, my son and I took a trip to St. Petersburg to see the last series of the year between the Orioles and the Rays (first time there)....On Saturday night (the 30th), the Rays Daniel Robertson struck out to end an inning and the catcher threw the ball to Manny Machado as he was coming into the dugout and Manny looked up in the stands behind the dugout for an Orioles fan to toss the ball to....We were sitting at the very back of the first section, but my son stood up & waved, caught Manny's eyes & Manny then proceeded to toss the ball all the way up to him! (which he caught on the fly).....He's obviously keeping this one!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Very cool.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear Bill.

Mike
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

AWESOME BILL! KARMA LIVES!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see karma at its finest.

And I do believe in the four months between pics its
    possible he's grown 2 or 3 new whiskers.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stories and Cool idea for the blanket !

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!! Karma pays off BIG and another proud moment enjoyed by father and son. :+1::+1:

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always great to see positive stories like this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

good things come around. congrats

Let's Go O's!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started