Home Sports Talk
Options

My dumbest rule in baseball

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pitcher throws a ball 90mph, almost hits the batter in the head. The batter covers up for his life and the errant pitch hits his bat. Why do they reward a pitcher with a strike on such a wild pitch ? Why do they charge a hitter with a strike for a ball not only out of the strike zone, but threatening his life ? It should be ruled a ball, and a dead ball with no advancement by runners on base allowed.......................................I can see rewarding a pitcher for a strike on a check swing where the ball is close to the strike zone and hits the knob of the batters bat on the check swing. But the other scenario baffles me.

Comments

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Would gather you never pitched B) Good pitcher move. The batter dude is already dumb enough to stand there waiting while someone throws a hardball in their general direction.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 7:05PM

Dumb rule is that players have to bat in order. Tell LeBron that he can't take the buzzer beater shot because it is Love's turn to shoot.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dumbest rule to me is there are two different sets of rules. DH and no DH. Dumb, dumb and dumb.

Also the fact that you play 19 games against each team in your division. If your team is in the AL Central for example its torture.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do away with the DH and there may be fewer 90 mph fastballs near the batters head.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Dumbest thing to me is that the parks all have different dimensions, Can you imagine if a football field in one stadium was 90 yards and another was 105 yards?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Do away with the DH and there may be fewer 90 mph fastballs near the batters head.

It would shorten the games too. The pitchers are a much quicker at bat than a DH . Also there would be less fat slobs on the rosters

• Options

@Brick said:

I dunno know. It would make the game even more boring then it already is. I wish there were moats and alligators on the warning track to spice things up.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is more of an unwritten rule, and I detest it. I'll never understand drilling a batter for any reason other than cutting it too close while attempting to move him off the plate. If the opposing pitcher feels the need to "retaliate" by throwing a baseball 95-mph at your body, you should then be allowed to go out to the mound and take an uppercut with him spread eagle.

I have always found it to be a punk, bush-league move.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your team is in the AL Central for example its torture.
    another crack against the AL Central, yet a Team from that Division keeps representing the AL in the World Series. have you ever wondered why that is happening?? I suspect that it's because the Teams are all fairly even and competitive while thinkers like yourself figure they all suck.

at the risk of repeating myself, a Team from that Division keeps representing the AL in the World Series.

now, back to our regularly scheduled thread..............................
    here, I fixed it for you to represent my almost as equally dumb rule
    A pitcher throws a ball 90mph, just off the inside corner. The batter, who is crowding the plate so he can reach an outside pitch just stands there and the ball hits his leg. Why do they reward a batter with first base? Why do they charge a pitcher with a hit batter for a ball almost in the strike zone when the batter never even tries to get out of the way? It should be ruled a ball, and a dead ball with no advancement by runners on base allowed.......................................additionally, the batter should be required to wear a "DA" patch on his back for the remainder of the game.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2017 2:14PM

Anything can happen in the playoffs. One team has to make it from each division. It's a tournament. Regular season has little to do with the playoffs. Besides to your point the AL Central has only won the WS once in the last 11 years and twice in the past 23 years at least that I'm aware. But that wasn't even my point.

My point was that playing 19 games against each other in the regular season in that division is torture. That was it.

mark

• Options
    edited June 17, 2017 2:15PM

double post

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sacrifice fly does not count as an at-bat. Dumb.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Rule: There is no crying in baseball.

I think Chase Headley should be able to stomp him feet up and down and cry like a baby
    when he doesn't agree with the umpires strike call. Maybe go over to the batters on deck circle and lie face down and pound the dirt with both hands and feet !!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Why is it called the "foul pole" if a ball that hits it is fair?
    Why do all the players scratch themselves so much? Are the clubhouses infested? Are the uniforms made of really course material?

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 11:50AM

@1970s said:
    I agree galaxy27, but if pitchers didn't have that in their back pocket, then what would you do with the guy who slid into second spikes up ?

No biggy as dumb rule #17 is where second baseman doesn't need to touch the bag on a force out.

• Options

Back in the day, I remember 2nd baseman slinging the ball underhanded on the throw to first to cause the runner to hit the dirt or lose some teeth. I remember Reggie Jackson sliding 20 feet before the bag on one of those plays.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another stupid rule in baseball is no reentry. Can you imagine basketball or football with no re entry?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 8:27PM

Not a rule, per se, but more of a curious tradition: MLB managers in unis. I really think this needs to encompass all major sports. For the upcoming seasons I expect to see Belichick in pads and Stan Van Gundy/Ron Jeremy in 80s nut huggers with tube socks suffocating his kneecaps.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    For the upcoming seasons I expect to see Belichick in pads and Stan Van Gundy/Ron Jeremy in 80s nut huggers with tube socks suffocating his kneecaps.

Not Bill , if he had to match up , he would have the whole team play in a hoodie.

• Options

The passed ball third strike and the batter getting to first base. I have always hated it

m

• Options

Also hitting a runner with a batted ball yields the batter a base hit and the runner out. If it hits the umpire in the field of play it's also ruled a base hit for the batter. Weird to me

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Also hitting a runner with a batted ball yields the batter a base hit and the runner out. If it hits the umpire in the field of play it's also ruled a base hit for the batter. Weird to me

m

I thought if it hit the umpire the ball was still in play, not a dead ball. I checked the official rule and it depends.

Rule: A fair ball touches an umpire...on fair territory before touching a fielder. If a fair ball touches an umpire after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or having touched a fielder, including the pitcher, the ball is in play.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't agree with no RBI given if run scores on a double play. I think a WS game 7 was won 1-0 on such a play. If you drive in a run it should count. It does on the scoreboard.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2017 9:24PM

@dbtunr said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I thought if it hit the umpire the ball was still in play, not a dead ball. I checked the official rule and it depends.

Rule: A fair ball touches an umpire...on fair territory before touching a fielder. If a fair ball touches an umpire after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or having touched a fielder, including the pitcher, the ball is in play.

Dead ball. I was referring to 5.09(f). I see what you are getting at now.

My point was a batter shouldn't be awarded a hit for hitting an umpire in the infield. I don't have a problem with a batter being awarded a hit after it passes all the infielders. That's a given

m

• Options

A fly ball sacrifice doesn't count against the batter. it should.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2017 12:52AM

Thought of something else that bothers me like a hangnail -- the way these guys fight. How many times is a batter going to get plunked, get pissed, then 5-10 minutes of grab-ass ensues? It reminds me of elementary school when someone at recess would yell "Fight! Fight!" So everyone invariably flies to the skirmish like moths to a flame, only to find two girls trying to uproot each other's hair follicles. Seriously, what will it take for every participant to channel their inner Rougned Odor? Are you genuinely mad or just trying to save face by pretending like you're mad?

I guarantee you if I was a pro baller and found myself on the receiving end of a two-seam fastball to the rib cage, I would Speedy Gonzalez my way to the mound and bruise my hand with some part of that pitcher's body -- preferably his pretty little face. Go ahead, suspend & fine the crap out of me. I promise it a) would be worth every second and penny of it, and b) WOULD MAKE MY RIBS FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2017 9:12PM

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when -- A fair ball touches a runner or an umpire on fair territory before it touches an infielder including the pitcher, or touches an umpire before it has passed an infielder other than the pitcher; Rule 5.09(f)

(f) A fair ball touches a runner or an umpire on fair territory before it touches an infielder including the pitcher, or touches an umpire before it has passed an infielder other than the pitcher; If a fair ball touches an umpire working in the infield after it has bounded past, or over, the pitcher, it is a dead ball, If a batted ball is deflected by a fielder in fair territory and hits a runner or an umpire while still in flight and then caught by an infielder it shall not be a catch, but the ball shall remain in play. If a fair ball goes through, or by, an infielder, and touches a runner immediately back of him, or touches a runner after being deflected by an infielder, the ball is in play and the umpire shall not declare the runner out. In making such decision the umpire must be convinced that the ball passed through, or by, the infielder and that no other infielder had the chance to make a play on the ball; runners advance if forced;

mark

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    Why do all the players scratch themselves so much? Are the clubhouses infested? Are the uniforms made of really course material?

That and spitting. It seems spitting is everywhere in the game especially when the cameras film the dugout. How gross is the dugout floor after a game? Wouldn't want that job lol

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

@Gemyanks10 said:

@dbtunr said:

That and spitting. It seems spitting is everywhere in the game especially when the cameras film the dugout. How gross is the dugout floor after a game? Wouldn't want that job lol

spitting and scratching ? 49 seconds of those 2 things is what you get between every pitch david price throws . :(

• Options

...and when a pitcher is pulled late into a no hitter.

Manager should be banished for life.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    ...and when a pitcher is pulled late into a no hitter.

Manager should be banished for life.

Unless the pitcher releases the ball and his arm comes off with the pitch

m

• Options

He has the other arm!

• Options
    edited August 16, 2017 9:22PM

Your comment reminded me of Mickey Lolich's 1973 season

45 games started
    29 complete games
    25 wins
    376 innings pitched
    308 strikeouts

After 68 he never had to buy another drink in the state of Michigan again. Beast

m

• Options
    edited August 17, 2017 12:25PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Your comment reminded me of Mickey Lolich's 1973 season

45 games started
    29 complete games
    25 wins
    376 innings pitched
    308 strikeouts

After 68 he never had to buy another drink in the state of Michigan again. Beast

Lolich was great. Got into the donut business after baseball.

• Options

Ya he got a head start on the donut business while he was playing. He was built on beer and donuts. A body like that doesn't happen on it's own.

m

• Options

Remember when he was playing softball. Little Caesars sponsored a league if memory serves. They played at Softball City. Think Norm Cash was on the team.

• Options

This link lists Northrup, Stanley and Cash on Illitch's softball team.

I recall Lolich as well.

http://www.detroitcaesars.com/

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lolich had a little donut shop in Lake Orion, MI. My dad took me there one day when Lolich had the World Series MVP trophy in the shop and was there signing autographs. It was really cool meeting him as I'd just finished reading a book on the '68 Tigers. I believe I still have the autograph somewhere.

I also got to see those Detroit Caesars play softball. I was very young at the time but I recall there being a TON of home runs. We sat in the right field bleachers. I remember my dad being disgusted with the way people were fighting - as in actually fighting - over the home run balls.

Had much more fun when he took us to see The King & His Court when Eddie Feigner was still very actively pitching. That was a lot of fun.