Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stephen Curry rookie - Real or fake?

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Purchased this a few months ago from a reputable dealer at a big card show.

Suspicious as to whether it is the real deal based on a few factors. Thoughts?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 8:14PM

looks fake too me. Curry's name should not be in white lettering. It should be silver.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Wow and the name font and its alignment is atrocious, thanks for sharing

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Never thought a modern base card would be something to worry about, but this is probably one of the most counterfeit cards out now.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-Curry-2009-Topps-321-Rookie-Reprint-Warriors-/112407028776?hash=item1a2bfb2428:g:l9QAAOSwz2lXDAr-

Not sure how ebay lets this happen. this is a counterfeit Curry rookie card, with no inscription on the card that it is a reprint, but being sold as a reprint.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

This is blatant fraud. This punk is using the NBA and Topps logo without permission and flooding the market with counterfeits. All on the internet for everyone to see. Clearly doesn't give a sh**. Crime pays on ebay.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

The main flaw with Capitalism.

No matter if it is right or wrong, in the end, the choice will always be what is most profitable.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

He's not the only one. There are dozens of sellers selling them.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will most likely be a real flood of these if Curry were to win the NBA Finals and MVP. Be careful out there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    if Curry were to win the NBA Finals and MVP.

Maybe you are a few seasons behind and still catching up, so spoiler alert:

he already did this ;)

• Options
    Jimmy_CommonpantsJimmy_Commonpants Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

@Sdub said:
    This is blatant fraud. This punk is using the NBA and Topps logo without permission and flooding the market with counterfeits. All on the internet for everyone to see. Clearly doesn't give a sh**. Crime pays on ebay.

Now, ask yourself why the card companies and various sports leagues don't aggressively pursue these folks? It would be very easy, and they probably would even have a case against ebay for continuing to allow this. But they don't. Why? Is it because they are "guilty" themselves of running more copies of various cards/sets and not disclosing it? Seems like the likely reason to me.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

he already did this ;)

i think he might have been referring to if he won both the MVP and Finals this year. The MVP is unfortunately out because he is not a finalist, but I agree with the sentiment. The more that Curry does, the more these cards are desired, and therefore the more people need to be careful. Much like the MJ RC.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@initialD said:
    Wow and the name font and its alignment is atrocious, thanks for sharing

Hopefully this will help in identifying the fakes.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@FirstBeard said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

he already did this ;)

I realize this. I was referring to this years Finals. This would no doubt increase his cards being even more collectable with this additional award/Ship, if it were to come to pass. 2 are better than 1, 3 better than 2 etc. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@FirstBeard said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

he already did this ;)

I realize this. I was referring to this years Finals. This would no doubt increase his cards being even more collectable with this additional award/Ship, if it were to come to pass. 2 are better than 1, 3 better than 2 etc. :)

I believe there is a guy named Durant that has pole position for MVP in Finals....at least so far

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@Sdub said:

Now, ask yourself why the card companies and various sports leagues don't aggressively pursue these folks? It would be very easy, and they probably would even have a case against ebay for continuing to allow this. But they don't. Why? Is it because they are "guilty" themselves of running more copies of various cards/sets and not disclosing it? Seems like the likely reason to me.

Ebay has his address, probably a credit card, his name, etc. A 4th grader could figure this out and arrest this guy in 20 minutes. We have folks in our neighborhood stealing mail in broad daylight, ransacking houses with no concern for security cameras. Lots of these punks are on camera with their faces. Cops catch them, they are back at it 2 weeks later. it's like wack-a-mole.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@FirstBeard said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

he already did this ;)

I believe there is a guy named Durant that has pole position for MVP in Finals....at least so far

I agree. If a Warrior were to get MVP I hope it is KD.