Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

SOLD: 1915-H Australia Half Penny PCGS AU55 - RARE

MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

This is a sweet coin!, asking $800 shipped. PayPal preferred. A very nice chocolate brown example, all 8 pearls on the crown are still visible. 720,000 mintage! KEY DATE! Get your Krause books out on this one! $450 in XF and $3500 in MS60!

Comments

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Pm sent

• Options

Another pm sent

• Options

@superpsychmd pm replied

• Options

SOLD

• Options

That grading is incorrect and i personally dont care what PCGS says. But what do i know? I only lived in Australia for 55 years and 43 of them i was a coin collector , investor and later on a part time dealer. You are not wrong that the halfpenny is a scarce dare but it is not rare... All the older generations coin collections are now coming onto the market and there is an influx of them.. On top of that, the younger generation has no interest in coins as i have first hand experience of that in Australia with my kids... This comes under supply and demand and the printers of the books cant see that. With the fact some of the pearls on your 15 halfpenny are there in the kings band in the crown...that is good...However the points at the end of the center diamond in the crown seem not to be visible...The diamond is the most important part as it wears out first......Has rim nicks on both sides and scratch near the date.... This in Australia with the faults is a possible VF - VF+ coin in Australia where it would be more sorted after if at all......No lustre is visible... I suggest before yo quote the Krauss prices...try the Greg McDonalds Coin and Banknote catalogue to what all of Australia uses for reference. I have included pictures of previous years so you know what to look for ...FORGET THE KRAUSS FOR AUSSIE COINS!!!!!.How can the Krauss know every morsal country , every price and every grade...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. ..If you want a 2017 issue ( which i dont use and refuse to use as prices are too high ) , please view ebay auction number 401397529717 or ebay auction number 162630992594 for the 1915 edition....I only use the 2011 edition as it is now 6 years later and prices are more realistic but even then i feel some are too dear in later issues. That 2011 edition has a black cover...PLUS...the reason why all 1915 aussie coins are a low minted coin is that it was the period of WW1 and copper silver and nickel were used to make bullets and so on and they did not worry about currency at that time...have a think of it..which would you prefer??? Currency to sit in a vault or bullets etc to fight the enemies and pritect the coiuntry?? Have a look at the 2 shilling, 1 shilling, threepence, 1 penny and halfpenny in your Krausse and you will see all fall in that short mintage catagory.. There were no sixpences minted that year. However the 1918 sixpence is the hard one in that period of time...However you will do as you wish....Have a nice day

• Options

Oh well, live and learn

• Options

You forgot something as the old saying goes......th th , th, th th , th , thats all folks

• Options

I'm so confused. Is there a problem?

• Options

@oz_in_ohio you ok? What's with the novel? Thanks.

@superpsychmd everything ok?

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Haha what

• Options

@oz_in_ohio said:
    That grading is incorrect and i personally dont care what PCGS says. But what do i know? I only lived in Australia for 55 years and 43 of them i was a coin collector , investor and later on a part time dealer. You are not wrong that the halfpenny is a scarce dare but it is not rare... All the older generations coin collections are now coming onto the market and there is an influx of them.. On top of that, the younger generation has no interest in coins as i have first hand experience of that in Australia with my kids... This comes under supply and demand and the printers of the books cant see that. With the fact some of the pearls on your 15 halfpenny are there in the kings band in the crown...that is good...However the points at the end of the center diamond in the crown seem not to be visible...The diamond is the most important part as it wears out first......Has rim nicks on both sides and scratch near the date.... This in Australia with the faults is a possible VF - VF+ coin in Australia where it would be more sorted after if at all......No lustre is visible... I suggest before yo quote the Krauss prices...try the Greg McDonalds Coin and Banknote catalogue to what all of Australia uses for reference. I have included pictures of previous years so you know what to look for ...FORGET THE KRAUSS FOR AUSSIE COINS!!!!!.How can the Krauss know every morsal country , every price and every grade...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. ..If you want a 2017 issue ( which i dont use and refuse to use as prices are too high ) , please view ebay auction number 401397529717 or ebay auction number 162630992594 for the 1915 edition....I only use the 2011 edition as it is now 6 years later and prices are more realistic but even then i feel some are too dear in later issues. That 2011 edition has a black cover...PLUS...the reason why all 1915 aussie coins are a low minted coin is that it was the period of WW1 and copper silver and nickel were used to make bullets and so on and they did not worry about currency at that time...have a think of it..which would you prefer??? Currency to sit in a vault or bullets etc to fight the enemies and pritect the coiuntry?? Have a look at the 2 shilling, 1 shilling, threepence, 1 penny and halfpenny in your Krausse and you will see all fall in that short mintage catagory.. There were no sixpences minted that year. However the 1918 sixpence is the hard one in that period of time...However you will do as you wish....Have a nice day

That's a lot of words about a lot of different things . . . anyway, the coin is a perfectly acceptable AU55. You probably are using a different grading scale.

• Options

yes it is a lot of different things and if you want to grade your way...then carry on...all i know is that aussie coins have certain high points and this PCGS company does not know everything...Wait till people say it is overgraded and i will say i told you so...You continue to use the krauss...an american book - not an australian book have a nice day

• Options

@oz_in_ohio said:
    yes it is a lot of different things and if you want to grade your way...then carry on...all i know is that aussie coins have certain high points and this PCGS company does not know everything...Wait till people say it is overgraded and i will say i told you so...You continue to use the krauss...an american book - not an australian book have a nice day

No one will say it is overgraded. PCGS has graded over 30 million coins at this point and is fairly accurate. It is simply a different grading scale, and there's nothing wrong with that. Krause is closer to a European scale. Frankly I think you're coming from a very one-sided viewpoint.

• Options

I think it is poor form to criticize a coin publicly after it has been sold.

• Options

If it was sold, then why was the description, picture etc not deleted off the listing??
    Surely if someone has the pictures and description for people to see, then it is still
    available and i was just giving my grading as i am australian and have dealt with
    this stuff for over 50 years...I bet you dont know why there is such a short mintage...
    do you if the 1915 halfpenny in fact all 1915 Australian coins in general, do you???...
    By the way, do you know where it ( the halfpenny ) was minted as you
    are so clever???.. I am just testing you there.

That is why any aussie pre decimal coins that made their way to the USA are so underpriced
    and i pay the asking price...I then take them back home, sell them and that is what pays
    for the entire airfare but as you say, that is poor form isnt it.

PCGS may be ok for USA items but they should leave the grading of other
    countries such as AU, NZ, UK and so on to their own countries grading companies
    ( if they have any ) ..... I can speak as an aussie, that we are taught ( down under )
    how to grade properly and not need a third person to do it for us. Have a look at this
    attachement I have added and that is in the Australia coin catalogue.... If one is very
    pedantic and grades a half a grade down ( like i do ) , then the possibility of it selling is more than
    having it slabbed with a exact if not higher grade. That is why i retired from coins and stamps at
    55 with my grading skills i learnt from the time of elementary school....
    How many middle class people can say they retired before they were 55 from a hobby???

I can speak for all collectors as they like to get a discount. In my way of things, the discount
    is already taken off with the half a grade value chopped off...If they still dont want it, then
    they dont want it at any price. Now as i say to most people like you superpsychmd
    that like to criticize my 50+ years of experience in the hobby....
    Have a most wonderful and lovely day........ ta ta for now

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a dog in this fight, but have been reading the thread.

I will mention to oz_in_ohio that the very last post, which was posted nearly three months prior to the first post by oz_in_ohio, stated "SOLD" so it would not have been unreasonable to expect someone who read the thread to realize the coin in question was sold. It is not unusual on this site for folks to leave up sales information from old threads and to add a post that states coins are sold. Again, I do not want to wade into price guides, grading criteria, regional sales, etc, but am simply pointing out the answer to the possible rhetorical question of "If it was sold, they why was the description, picture etc not deleted off the listing??".

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 55 on the Sheldon scale????
    Grader must have had a great day
    Just wondering what a MS would look like... after all, only 2 small steps from this grade?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Hi @YQQ - The 1915-H was notorious for weak strikes. They were minted in Birmingham, England at the Heaton mint, hence the "H" mintmark.

I feel obliged to make a few other remarks in light of recent posts.

1. The post was clearly marked SOLD - TWICE, once in the header and once in the string. I am sorry if people didn't catch that and it caused confusion.

2. I mentioned Krause price guide in the listing, because most of the audience here would be familiar with it. It is true that there are other price guides. One is Australia's own "Blue Sheet", which, by the way, is based solely on PCGS graded coins. If the main price guide in Australia trusts PCGS grading, then that is good enough for me, I have always had acceptable results from PCGS. Feel free to disagree, we live in a free country.

3. Only the purchaser and I are privy to the details of the sale, so please don't armchair quarterback about whether it was a good deal or not, because, one, frankly, you have no idea how much it sold for, and, two, why does it concern you? Stop being nosy; it's poor etiquette.

4. Regarding the relative rarity of the 1915-H 1/2d: my research of grading populations, ebay sales, and prior auction house records both in the US and in Australia have led me to believe, due to the very few records available, that the 1915-H 1/2d is indeed a very scarce/rare coin in grades above XF. Feel free to show me evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for everyone's interest! Have a great day!

• Options

Exactly. I know nothing about this series but it's clear to me that there is very little actual wear. The rest is the strike. Ignore this Oz guy.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@You said:
    Exactly. I know nothing about this series but it's clear to me that there is very little actual wear. The rest is the strike. Ignore this Oz guy.

+1

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,