Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cal Ripken's Consecutive Game Streak Started 35 Years Ago Today

Today (May 30th) marks the 35th Anniversary of the first game of Cal Ripken's legendary consecutive game streak. It was a Sunday afternoon game @ Memorial Stadium against the Toronto Blue Jays & I'm sure the fans in attendance that day didn't realize that they were witnessing baseball history. A few years ago I was fortunate to obtain a set of the lineup cards from that game from one of the Memorial Stadium umpire attendants (who was ahead of his time in saving these sort of things):

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Did you notice that the LU Card they used for the Blue Jays was from 1980?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:
    Did you notice that the LU Card they used for the Blue Jays was from 1980?

Yep, good catch (I knew it)....I spoke to a MLB Umpire about this and they said it wasn't unusual for a team/manager to carry around older blank lineup cards to fill out (it's not how it is today with holograms/authentication, etc.) to submit....

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Also the date Babe Ruth played his last game, 1935.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on having the lineup cards to commemorate the beginning of this historic event. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pieces of history. I like seeing this type of memorabilia.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".