Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage Stars with a disproportionate amt. of high series/sp

Just wondering what stars/Hofers etc. that you have noticed have a disproportionate of cards located in the high / scarce series/ sp's, and the one that comes to mind for me is Willie McCovey. Yours?

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Off the top of my head, the High Series in the '67 set includes SEAVER, BROOKS ROBBY, CAREW and COLAVITO.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Hoyt Wilhelm appears in the high series of sets four times. They are 1952, 1961, 1962, and 1972.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Jim Bunning has 4 cards that are higher #'s

Any player that was an all star from 1958 to 1962....mantle

Johnny Unitas has 5 cards hat are #1 and often difficult to get in hi grade.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Piersall is in the high numbers in both 1966 and 1967.

Steve

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan didn't come along until near the end of the era for sets being released in multiple series, and he wasn't a cardboard "star" until long after the production of these sets, but 69-72, he makes appearances "late" 4 years in a row, adding one factor to the high price of those cards today.

As far as established stars at the time of release, just off the top of my head, I'd have to mention Frank Robinson.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

McCovey was the one that came to mind. Lots of high numbers and some SPs to boot. Think you nailed it with your first thought.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Brooks Robinson in 67 and 69

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

Great thread...love those High's, Semi High's and Short Prints.

1959 and 1960 (besides all=star cards) are the worst so far as stars, etc. Some tough commons but nothing really special.

Lots of times it was for players who had made the team in April.

Typically high numbers were available in mid July so if a player unexpectedly made the team in April they were included. Look at 66 Choo Choo, Klimchock, McFarland. 1967 Ray barker, etc.

For some reason, Horace Clarke wasd usually a high number.

Does anybody know how Topps decided what series a players card should be issued?

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

1971 Clemente

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    1971 Clemente

True, but I believe the intent of the OP was listing stars who routinely appeared in high series year after year, rather than examples of outlying instances when in most sets they were more often in lower series.