Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long has PCGS been doing these TrueView images?

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I get a TrueView done on a coin I like to save all the images to a folder on my computer, just to have. On the latest coin, I noticed that PCGS uploaded single obverse and reverse images; how long have they been doing that? I remember in the past it was just diferent sized side-by-side images with and without the PCGS TrueView overlay and cert number.

I like this new (or at least new to me) option when it comes to TrueView pics.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 12:28PM Answer ✓

Single images started recently (earlier this year?) Our host has been incorporating them (TrueViews) with secure plus since 2015, and there used to be four or five different options prior to adding the singles.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
    Answer ✓

It's been happening for a few months now after requests from dealers who like showing the obverse and reverse separately on their websites.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Answers

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    It's been happening for a few months now after requests from dealers who like showing the obverse and reverse separately on their websites.

Always good to have more options! I am a big fan of the new images. Thanks.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's also interesting are the prices. From March 2009 to Sept 2012, the TV photo price was $20 each. Starting in Sept 2012, the price was dropped to $10. I think in 2015 or so, TV photo's were added on for free with Secure Plus service (it's still $10 extra with Regular service).

• Options

TrueView started in 2005 as a service for customers. We heavily advertised it, like full-page ads in coin publications. But we didn't get a whole lot of submissions.

From around 2008 to about 2011 most of my focus was building our internal database of images for reference and for CoinFacts - TrueView wasn't even a choice on the submission form at the time as I recall. Turns out CoinFacts was the best advertisement for TrueViews, and demand has grown since then.

Fun Fact: We once offered to burn images onto a CD for purchase ($20). Now a lot of new computers don't even come with an optical drive.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file