Home Sports Talk
Options

In two hours the greatest spectacle begins!

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget the NFL crybabies, forget the MLB wimps, forget the NBA pre determined results, this is a true sport where the smallest error slams the participant into the wall at 220 MPH and no Tommy John surgery is going to fix them.

A truly American tradition with 300,000 fans in the heart of the nation, on our most reverent weekend.

One will drink the cold milk, the others will shake their heads and dream of next year.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not Italian or named Andretti so I guess I'll skip it and watch the Royals and Indians.

By the way, if you're trying to make it sound so macho you probably shouldn't have
    mentioned the winner has a cold glass of milk to celebrate.
    Is it at least whole Vitamin D milk or is it that wimpy 2% milk?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 8:31AM

I've been. Everyone should go once. I'll never be back. Bored stiff. Basically people root for a crash on their turn or look for chicks hiking up their shirts in the infield. The winner is usually the driver who doesn't blow an engine or tire or run out of gas. Not much of a sport more as it is drivers luck. I'd rather watch Darin watch the Indians vs Kansas City and regular baseball blows.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2017 8:42AM

Been there twice 1980 and 81. Drove all night from Detroit and back after the race ended. Hell, even got a speeding ticket in Speedway Indiana!

I would return if I had nice accommodations.

• Options

Too funny. I was at the 1980 Indy 500. Rutherford won in an uneventful race. We drove from Midland, Michigan. My suite mates dad own a car dealership in Carmel, Indiana. We drank ourselves silly and then drank some more

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2017 11:53AM

1980 my seats were between the 1st and second turn.

We could have talked coins during the cautions.

Hell, PCGS wasn't even around yet.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lap 54......OUCH.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    1980 my were seats between the 1st and second turn.

We could have talked coins during the cautions.

Hell, PCGS wasn't even around yet.

I didn't have two nickels to rub together in 1980

mark

• Options

Aside from the damn potted plant that they kept showing...it was a good race.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this will be hard for you to understand and even harder to accept, but car racing isn't a Sport and the drivers aren't Athletes no matter how hard you try to rationalize.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    this will be hard for you to understand and even harder to accept, but car racing isn't a Sport and the drivers aren't Athletes no matter how hard you try to rationalize.

True, but there is skill and endurance involved in it.

• Options

there's skill and endurance involved in Sex, which some people consider Sport, so maybe I'm wrong.

• Options

Is golf a sport?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody that has tried to hit a golf ball where they wanted it to go would say.......YES!!!

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 11:56AM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Anybody that has tried to hit a golf ball where they wanted it to go would say.......YES!!!

The whole debate as to what is a sport and what is not is sophomoric. Is a 40 year old rotund designated hitter an athlete? What about horse racing? Is the horse an athlete? What about the jockey?

Driving to the Super K to pick up a twelve pack before watching Indy is not a sport. Keeping a 700 HP monster on line at 230 MPH is.

• Options

to my way of thinking a Sport is something that involves two people doing something at that same time with physical interaction between the two. if you took two guys going down the road in the same car fighting over the steering wheel, that might be a Sport.

two guys driving cars against each other falls a little short. so does two guys walking on the grass and each hitting a different ball to a designated location. if they were fighting over the right to be the guy who got to hit the ball, that might be different.

George Carlin once qualified a "Sport" as needing to have a ball involved. I don't agree. Boxing meets all my qualifications to be a Sport since the interactive physical competiton is apparent. I just don't get Car Racing as a Sport, though. it's cool to watch and I accept that the stamina and physical endurance to compete is real and apparent, it just isn't a Sport.

JMHO, of course.

• Options

My criteria is much simpler....does the sport book at Caesars take action on it?

• Options

horse racing, not a Sport. polo would qualify, though.

using my criteria, things like water polo would be a Sport but racing against the clock like a 100 meter freestyle would not. ditto for stuff like track and field. it's a finger and thumb thing, all Sports are form of competition but all forms of competition aren't Sports.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Racing is badass, specifically NASCAR. NASCAR races are watched over any Sunday NFL game, when the race is over, then fallback to the NFL. If it ain't a sport then it's above sport :p

• Options

It's called motor sports so yes it qualifies

mark

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 9:09PM

...and horse racing is the sport of kings!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like old reruns of ABC's "Wide World of Sports" will have to pull the "Sports" connotation. They considered sports: cliff diving,car racing, including demolition derby,skating,golf,horse racing,track/field,pole vaulting,broad jump,billiards. All were featured on the show at some point.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Even the agony of defeat guy would have to be removed.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2017 7:10AM

are hunting, fishing and trapping Sports?? they get referred to as "Outdoor Sports" and I participate in all three, I wouldn't call them Sports, though. as for ABC and the WWS, the answer is clear --- they were wrong and I'm right.

;) what are you guys, lemmings???

• Options

So I walked into Dick's sporting goods this morning. guns were off the shelf as was archery equipment. A golf club could not be found and bowling balls were absent. No swimming gear or even a fishing rod. Asked the clerk about ski's and he shook his head and looked downward. "They have been downgraded by Keet's" was all he said.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Racing is badass, specifically NASCAR. NASCAR races are watched over any Sunday NFL game, when the race is over, then fallback to the NFL. If it ain't a sport then it's above sport :p

dudes, A nozzle with the name zippcity left me a 'disagree' on my post above. His pic though is of a coin with a chick wearing a flowing dress on it. I guess I should thank him. err.. it.. for disagreeing with me.

• Options

Coinstatled, you are starting to understand, my son. all the things you listed are competitions but not necessarily "Sports" in my realm.
    --- the last time I sat in my tree-stand and put an arrow in a buck's powerhouse there wasn't anything really sporting about it.
    --- I've had one eagle in my life from about 175 yards out, the cup never resisted or even acknowledged that I had beaten it(the guys in my foursome did cheer, however).
    --- the highest I ever bowled was 266: as much as I'd like to think so, none of the pins ever moved or fought me in any way.
    --- I hate skiing and swimming, swimming is especially stupid.
    --- you will be able to find me at the local pond on July 9th, the first day of retirement. I went on Monday to check things out, the first visit this year. the water was a bit cloudy from all the rain but I did think I saw a few fish in the shallows. it looked to me like organized calisthenics as the ready themselves for the heated battle.

now, dude, pull yourself away from the keyboard and go play some Boche Ball, or is that "Sport" a bit too challenging for you?? correct answer: it isn't a SPORT, it's something a bunch of old guys invented to do at picnics, so they don't have to sit around.

of course, if you live up North you take on the extreme challenges presented by Curling. I always envisioned myself as the guy with the broom who seems to be the key to the whole thing!!! if you really want to choke on something stupid, sit back and realize that all these competitions I have mentioned apparently receive preference over true Sports, things like Wrestling, which the Olympic committee had/has voted to eliminate. think about it, Wrestling is out but Curling is in. do you understand the insanity of that??? Wrestling is out, but guys with rifles who ski from place to place and rip off a few quick shots is in!!!

you may think my point is ridiculous, but I am right on this. the world is insane.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not buying what you're selling keets.
    I will stand with you on the Olympics and their often idiotic stance on wrestling.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grown men rolling around in shiny underwear hugging each other is not a sport.