Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Modern Day Star Notes

I have purchased an atheist star note silver certificate earlier in my collecting career and began to wonder how much modern day star notes are valued at (after 2000). I purchased the atheist star note for $6 (it wasn't in the best condition nor was it a key date), and wondered if modern star notes were worth face value or have a slight premium. What are they worth???

Comments

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 12:32PM

I presume that your term "atheist" star note, you mean notes issued prior to adding "In God We Trust" to currency in the 1950s. It is not a term in common use.

In small size $1 Silver Certificates, this occurred with series Series 1935G, which comes in both varieties (with the "Motto" and without). Some of the small size star notes (Federal Reserve Notes, Silver Certificates, United States Notes, $1, $2, $5, etc.) issued after this can carry significant premiums, depending on the series, block, and/or Fed District, and, of course, condition. Some Fed stars issued after series 1999 can have collector value, depending on series, Fed District, Star "Run" and condition.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Well said gnat. :)