Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guess the Grade

I just received this card back from grading. It received a numerical grade. Can you guess it? The back is clean - any imperfections are from my scanner.

Comments

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

6.5?

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

It was a trick question Gents. PSA implemented the Smiley Face Sticker to counter the fame of the BGS Black Slab 10. The card is a PSA Smiley 1948 Babe Ruth. It's that simple.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    It was a trick question Gents. PSA implemented the Smiley Face Sticker to counter the fame of the BGS Black Slab 10. The card is a PSA Smiley 1948 Babe Ruth. It's that simple.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I didn't think that anyone would guess the correct answer before PSA's official press release.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

psa 7

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

PSA 6

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy 8?

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I would say somewhere between a 6 and a 7--nice card!! Were you the winner of the 48 leaf pack in REA?!?! :p:#

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5 Congratulations.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 11:35AM

• Options

The Grader of Death is real! At least there is always the PWCC-HE designation for this beautiful PSA 1!

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

OMG!!!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Has to be pin hole

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the nicest PSA 1 in existence!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Has to be pin hole

I used a loupe on every inch of this card. There are no holes or indentations that would even suggest a pinhole. Maybe it was a keystroke error? I submitted this card with the expectation of a PSA 8, with an outside shot at PSA 8.5. Keep in mind that the scans that I submitted are 500% larger than the card itself, and that tends to exaggerate the flaws. In person, this card looks like an absolute rocket. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when the grade popped.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the much discussed April SNAFU with a key stroke error if it were mine I'd send it back in. Did you blast it from behind with light to see if it was a very small pin hole?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Is there paper loss on the reverse?
    Line 7 by the word "walked".
    Line 10 by the word "baseball".
    Line 11 by the word "Sox".

Even still, I thought it would bring it down to a "2". As has been stated above, r u sure there is not a pinhole on the card?

Even if one of the above two is present, that is an AMAZING looking card.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It looks like there's some gunk on the back

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Send it to PWCC's guy to wash it up nice and clean for ya.

• Options

The back is just from my scanner. What you're seeing isn't on the card itself.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is an amazing looking PSA 1.

If you are that confident and you don't see anything on it I would crack and resubmit.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the white dot in the middle of babes hair and also on the back "all" one of the l's also has a dot? Is that a hole?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely ridiculous. Some one should lose their job for that.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    The Grader of Death is real!

I wouldn't blame the grader. It is more likely the staff who takes the order from the grader and puts the cards into the holders w/ the labels the grader assigned who is responsible for this mech error. Mech errors occur on the grade portion of the label more often than many people realize.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would email Joe Orlando and ask for the card to be reviewed. In a case like this where the actual grade is so far from the expectation I would think they would gladly give it a second look for free. It might not change the outcome if there is a real reason that it graded a PSA 1 but it would certainly be worth the postage to find out. Good luck.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

se> @secretstash said:

Send it to PWCC's guy to wash it up nice and clean for ya.

are u serious ?

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2017 7:12AM

I would prefer that 1 over many 7s I've seen.

Outstanding card-- and if indeed there is some picayune technical flaw that merits the assigned grade (based on their grading criteria), it's only further proof that the grading game itself is deeply, deeply flawed. Much more so than that gorgeous Ruth card.

Looks like an 8-8.5 to me. Hopefully it's keystroke error.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

What a gorgeous card you have there. I can't for the life of me see why they would grade this a 1. Obviously, I don't have the card in hand, but there has to be something like paper missing or a small pin hole that is keeping it from grading higher. The card is unreal either way.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2017 9:53AM

What about the Black dot on Babes Left shoulder? It is also on the exact same spot on the back next to the word GUM. Do you still have it in hand? put a mag light behind it if you can. Or the top left corner boarder. It is discolored and on my Iphone zoomed in it looked like the surface was missing? Im only guess why they gave it a 1 of course. Card looks amazing otherwise. Also looks like a back wrinkle in the words "picture" "Gum" and connecting all the way to "Topped"? Also dead centered on the back "baseball" the 2 LLs have some fuzziness or loss of paper?

Again just guessing as it is very easy to see things not on the card but caused by the scan I know.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Outstanding card-- and if indeed there is some picayune technical flaw that merits the assigned grade

I'm a crossword puzzle guy and I still had to look up the word 'picayune'.

Daniel