Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much would a 1952 Mickey Mantle PSA 10 fetch today ?

Josh Evans of Lelands was on CNBC last week. He had the Babe Ruth contract on the show. The one that is being auctioned off now. Josh said that the 52 Mantle PSA 10 would bring millions of dollars today at auction. I could be wrong, but I thought he said $50 million. I thought this card sold for $121,000k a decade or two ago. Anyone have thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

$1 mil to $5 mil are the numbers I've always heard.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 3:45PM

A PSA 8.5 sold for $1.1M last November, and a PSA 8 went for $660K in February. So, I guess a PSA 9 could reach $3-5M.

$15M for one of the three PSA 10s doesn't seem farfetched.

Steve

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the PSA 8's bringing $550-660, and the 8.5 brought around $1.1 million. My guess is the 9's bring in potentially $2-2.5 million if centered, and a 10 would be $3-5 million if not more. Have to look at certain things when it gets put up for sale. What is the economy overall like at that point in time, what is the card market like at the time of sale, and factor in there are only 3 of them so if someone has the means it might be the only chance for a PSA 10 in the next 10-15 years. Better question is who owns the 3 10's? Candiotti used to own one at one point but believe he sold a lot of his collection. Marshall has one - who are the owners of the other 2?

KC

• Options
    edited May 27, 2017 3:59PM

@KendallCat said:
    Candiotti used to own one at one point but believe he sold a lot of his collection. Marshall has one - who are the owners of the other 2?

KC

Ken Kendrick owns one (he bought Candiotti's collection), so it's off the market, according to him, at least as long as he's alive.

Steve

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 million

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@KendallCat said:
    Candiotti used to own one at one point but believe he sold a lot of his collection. Marshall has one - who are the owners of the other 2?

KC

Ken Kendrick owns one (he bought Candiotti's collection), so it's off the market, according to him, at least as long as he's alive.

Steve

Kendrick owns 2 of the 10's and Marshall Fogel owns the 3rd.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 5:15PM

i can't see any card surpassing 10 mill but who knows

that guy who spent the same amount of money on a si tiger woods card rather than the psa 10 mantle sixteen years ago must be in a straight jacket now

• Options

@Mr_9 said:

@addicted2ebay said:
    i can't see any card surpassing 10Mill but add a Chinese billionaire or two who knows.

I sure wouldn't spend 10M on a baseball card (but that may be at least somewhat because I don't have $10M in the first place)

I was referring to the guy who bought the Jean-Michel Basquiat painting for 110mill last week.

Crazy money out there ;

https://www.bellanaija.com/2017/05/art-lovers-see-basquiat-painting-sold-110million-auction/

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The international money would be the wild card as mentioned earlier. If couple Chinese or Russian billionaires ever wanted a 1952 Mantle PSA 10, the realized price would be insane. Basically, name your price.

• Options

If it's true that Ken Kendrick owns two of the three PSA 10s, what would happen if Marshall Fogel were to sell his to Kendrick? I believe Fogel is in his 70s, or at least close to it. If all three PSA 10s in existence were owned by one person, he or she literally could name their price.

Steve

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    If it's true that Ken Kendrick owns two of the three PSA 10s, what would happen if Marshall Fogel were to sell his to Kendrick? I believe Fogel is in his 70s, or at least close to it. If all three PSA 10s in existence were owned by one person, he or she literally could name their price.

Steve

Anyone with a 1/1 can do that. The buyers still determine the price. If a price is too high, it won't sell.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    10 million

What he said

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be $5-$10 Million dollars.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

10 mil easily.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Anyone with a 1/1 can do that. The buyers still determine the price. If a price is too high, it won't sell.

I agree with this for most every card out there...but a 52 PSA 10, I don't know. Now, could he say $100 million? Of course and the likelihood is pretty much zilch. But we are saying $5M, $10m, maybe higher in its current situation. Now if Kendrick owned all three...He could put a price tag of way higher in my opinion and it would be chump change to some. He really would be able to name his price.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a POP 1, it would be around $25 mill. Each for each one of them, i think it cuts the cost in half, so $6 to $7.5 mill would be my guess.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    KauaBBKauaBB Posts: 17

I think if and when Marshal's comes to auction it will fetch over $10mil...according to sources I have heard that his is the best of the 3 cards.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

$18.5

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have pictures of all 3 for comparison?

• Options

Found two;

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

OT: Moved to Phoenix 3 years ago. Every time someone says D-Backs I hear D-Bags.

To bad we can't get them scanned under the same conditions. The top one looks nicer but the way the label is over blown tells you that the card wouldn't look like that in person.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Thank you. That is some serious card candy. I'm guessing those are both Kendrick's. Anyone have a scan of Marshall's?

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The DBacks card has a nasty tilt. For that money, I definitely don't wanna feel seasick when I look at the card, LOL.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

Out of these 2 Mantles graded PSA 10, I like the top one better.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me the DBacks 10 had the "Grader of forgiveness."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Arsenal83 said:
    Thank you. That is some serious card candy. I'm guessing those are both Kendrick's. Anyone have a scan of Marshall's?

Actually, the top one is Marshall's.

Steve

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SMR has the 9 at 2.5 million.

I'm thinking that will work against the 10 - it's hard to believe that someone's gonna drop 10 to 15 million on the 10?

I remember one of them went for 100+K - nice ROI - if/when selling.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, both cards exhibit some degree of tilt. I second the notion of seeing both cards scanned on similar settings~the top scan looks too bright.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Ken Kendrick owns the only 1951 Bowman PSA 10 too. His Mantles would fetch millions depending on the buyer. He will never sell them though and will always be part of one of the best collections in the world. Hard to believe one of the 52 Mantles originally sold for $175k. Ken Kendrick had his collection displayed in the HOF in 2010 and 2011.

Mike

Collecting Buster Posey PSA 10's or BGS 9.5's/10's
  • Options

Yep Donald Spence recently sold that card recently and I'll bet it was much more than $600k. Mick's legacy is a money making machine!

Mike

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where these 10's came from? Were the current owners the original owners? It's amazing they escaped mishandling all of these years.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

All 3 Topps Mantle 10's came from an unopened 1952 Topps case found in an attic. Read the attached article. Pretty amazing find and good history on the set.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1952-topps-case-is-baseball-card-history/

Mike

• Options

@grayhawkgolf said:
    All 3 Topps Mantle 10's came from an unopened 1952 Topps case found in an attic. Read the attached article. Pretty amazing find and good history on the set.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1952-topps-case-is-baseball-card-history/

Thanks for sharing the link. Cool story.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Was Jenny's husband on that ship too?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    JBLJBL Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Here's a bigger scan of the '51 Bowman PSA 10

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBL said:

Here's a bigger scan of the '51 Bowman PSA 10

Now that is a PSA 10!

• Options

more mick pics: :)

• Options
    edited June 3, 2017 9:16AM

Thanks for sharing the link on the article.

Donato

• Options

I'm drooling over here Bob... NICE !

• Options

anytime!

• Options

This thread is literally making me sick to my stomach. When I was graduating high school in 1997 and got into college on a scholarship, I asked my parents if I could use $6000 from my college fund that I no longer needed to buy a PSA 8 '52 Topps Mantle that the LCS was selling for $5740. Yes, that price will forever be burned into my memory. As most parents would, they denied my request. Now, every time I see the sale price of these cards, I remind them off what I could have had.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    This thread is literally making me sick to my stomach. When I was graduating high school in 1997 and got into college on a scholarship, I asked my parents if I could use $6000 from my college fund that I no longer needed to buy a PSA 8 '52 Topps Mantle that the LCS was selling for $5740. Yes, that price will forever be burned into my memory. As most parents would, they denied my request. Now, every time I see the sale price of these cards, I remind them off what I could have had.

But you probably would have sold the Mantle as soon as the value hit 10K. so don't be too hard on yourself, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Arsenal83 said:

But you probably would have sold the Mantle as soon as the value hit 10K. so don't be too hard on yourself, lol..

I was thinking the same thing. It's hard to say you would have hold onto it when it hit 50k, 100k, etc. Cool story tho and what great foresight you had. There's probably about a dozen cards I sold over the years if I had back I could quit my day job lol.