Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

OT It ain't currency, but..

I thought I would share. I collect items from this hotel, which once stood in my home town. I've posted a picture of this on the coin board, asking for help in determining the year of issue. Thought I would share it here, too.

Mike
Collecting small-size star notes.
Mishawaka, IN

Comments

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

I'm not the sharpest on these items, hence my reply here rather than the coin forum. Being an avid metal detector user (in New England area). I have found similar such items that have been determined as luggage tags, swim tags, and room key tags. What is it's metal composition? Most tags were generally of brass. As for the age of it? If it falls into the "tag" realm, it could be from the early/mid 1800's through the 1920/30's. I wouldn't discount the possibility of it also being a token, for meals or whatever. I know the Hotel was around from early 1800's thru 1980 or so. But the font type used looks to be later 1880's or 90's. Just my 2¢ worth as it is.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

That's really cool!!,

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 5:43AM

@mainejoe said:
    I'm not the sharpest on these items, hence my reply here rather than the coin forum. Being an avid metal detector user (in New England area). I have found similar such items that have been determined as luggage tags, swim tags, and room key tags. What is it's metal composition? Most tags were generally of brass. As for the age of it? If it falls into the "tag" realm, it could be from the early/mid 1800's through the 1920/30's. I wouldn't discount the possibility of it also being a token, for meals or whatever. I know the Hotel was around from early 1800's thru 1980 or so. But the font type used looks to be later 1880's or 90's. Just my 2¢ worth as it is.

mainejoe: Excellent insight! I think the metal is brass. I had not thought of a luggage tag . The ebay seller called it a coin, but, it has no cent mark, or dollar sign. The tiny hole could be for a string. I appreciate this input very much!

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN