Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Combined Shipping

To me, combining shipping for multiple eBay wins should be taken for granted, because it's simply the fair thing to do. Tonight I came across a couple of auctions I was interested in from the same seller shortly before they ended, and so didn't read the fine print carefully. After finding out the seller doesn't offer combined shipping, I reluctantly paid $8 shipping for two cards. Of course, I will never deal with this seller again. Seems a bit shortsighted and counterproductive for the seller, but to each his own.

Comments

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited May 25, 2017 11:41PM

If he does not combine shipping he had better send both cards in separate packages. It's as simple as that. If he does combine the cards in one package advise eBay that the seller clearly stated he did not combine shipping yet he sent both cards together. Then ask for a refund as you paid for individual shipping for each card.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Dave, when I first read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about a group of people going on a cruise :#

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@49ersGuy said:
    If he does not combine shipping he had better send both cards in separate packages. It's as simple as that. If he does combine the cards in one package advise eBay that the seller clearly stated he did not combine shipping yet he sent both cards together. Then ask for a refund as you paid for individual shipping for each card.

Maybe, maybe not. I had this situation once as a seller (I don't sell much). In the listing I said I'd ship in padded envelope. When I sold two items to the same person I messaged that I would upgrade the packaging to a box which cost the amount of the combined shipping to send.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    ..........I came across a couple of auctions I was interested in from the same seller shortly before they ended, and so didn't read the fine print carefully............

You have no leg to stand on. Case closed, fair or not.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, the auction didn't say that the seller didn't offer combined shipping. It just didn't mention combined shipping at all. I assumed it would be combined and only realized it wouldn't when I attempted to request a new invoice.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

The moral of this story is, when planning a cruise, it's best to go by yourself :#

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

David will be here all weekend, folks, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2017 7:32PM

@grote15 said:
    David will be here all weekend, folks, LOL!

Don't remind me! :/

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Did you message the seller?

Those automated "seller won't combine shipping" messages you get when you attempt to request a total don't necessarily mean anything. A lot of sellers simply don't know what their settings are.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

This is horrible.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I think he is saying that he stumbled upon a last minute auction and didn't have time to message him, and quite frankly, he shouldn't have to as a good seller would clearly state their combined shipping rule.... That said, technically the seller can overcharge him since he didn't state a combined shipping policy. The seller long term is an idiot for doing so but maybe thinks he can pay off some FVFs with this sort of approach

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

I still maintain the best action around this is to ask that each card is shipped separately if he does not combine the shipping. make sure to request tracking on each card too. This at least makes the seller spend more.

• Options

I asked for a refund of the excess shipping. At least that will clarify the seller's intentions.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I asked for a refund of the excess shipping. At least that will clarify the seller's intentions.

Hopefully, he'll make it right. I've had numerous transactions where the seller stated they would combine shipping but when I checked out the shipping wouldn't combine or let me request a new total. I got the same message from ebay that you got in this case but the sellers always either refunded my payment or sent an invoice with the correct shipping total.

That's why I said a lot of sellers don't know what their settings are.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

This is what I did and the seller sent me a credit.

Good luck.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that this tends to happen when sellers are dumping singles at very low starting prices and I suspect they are hoping most people will assume combined shipping. They run the risk of those who don't mind a few nonpaying bidder strikes too though.

I feel the same way as some who already mentioned...if a seller won't reduce s/h charges, then they need to send them in separate packages. pay for them individually and several days or a week or more apart to help drive that point home, although it is very likely that a seller like that will just hold them until all have been paid and ship together anyway.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Seller sent me a partial cash refund with my cards. Thanks for all the advice.