Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Finally complete - 1960 Topps set

I think I started about 3 years ago on this set. I didn't love it at first but it grew on me. It seemed to be a little tougher to complete than 1959 or 1961, although I originally thought it would be easier.

The high numbers weren't particularly difficult, although the Maris All Star card was really tough to find centered. The toughest card in the entire set for me was the Cepeda. I figured I could find a nice PSA 6 or 7 pretty easily, but it's notoriously off center. I saw recently a Cepeda PSA 8 sell for over $200 - crazy.

Most cards are raw, close to NM with a definite focus on centering, with maybe 20 graded. I usually look for really nice 5's and 6's to crack out, but many of the stars are 7 or 8.

Next up 1963 Topps - about halfway there. Lately though I've really been thinking about the 1962 Topps set...

Here's some scans, and a thank you to Brent (UGASkiDawg) for making me binder labels. Thanks for looking!

"Molon Labe"

Comments

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Great job and congrats!! Today I finally got the last card I needed to complete my 70 basketball set in psa 7 and 8 that I started collecting on 1-11-11 so it took me over six years to finish it and that one is only 175 cards!! :)

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your completion of the 1960 Topps set. :+1::+1:

Good luck on the 1963 and 1962 Topps sets.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Mark - this is awesome! Glad you like the binders and so happy you finished your set. Ralph (brick) also finished his 60 set. I'm 50 cards from finishing my 60 set, so y'all are definitely giving me motivation!!

That Drysdale is incredible!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Tremendous accomplishment. By coincidence today I received the last card to finish my 1960 Topps set.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! You have a great eye. If the rest look like the ones you posted you have put together an incredible set! congrats.

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Sweet set. Thanks for posting! The raw cards looks awesome.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Congrats guys. I really do like this set, especially with centering like that. You guys complain about taking a few years to finish a set, I took twenty to finish my '68 set.

Can we see the binder labels Brent made for you?

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the compliments!

Congrats Brick! And in PSA 8! Now that's some tenacity - would love to see scans.

Brian, here are the labels Brent made. He's got awesome full page creations for the front and back of his binders but I only asked him for the spines.

"Molon Labe"

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Damn those are nice. Just out of curiosity, any reason why you split your sets into two binders each? I use the 3" binders are they'll hold a complete set easily.

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I am working on the 1960 set myself but I do not care what condition they are in. I am trying something different with this set as I want to complete it by only trading. I want to spend very little to no cash for it. Right now I am at 79% complete and I only spent $15 on it. I have most of the big stars already except the mantle. That will be tricky to get. We will see how it goes. If it takes me 10 years that is OK because I am working on other sets that I don't mind spending cash on.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Wow, congratulations. The colors on that 1960 set really pop.

• moonlightgrahammoonlightgraham Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Congrats on completing the set! The Binders look great also.

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Damn those are nice. Just out of curiosity, any reason why you split your sets into two binders each? I use the 3" binders are they'll hold a complete set easily.

Don't want to jump in on your question, but those are the UniKeep binders that are not big enough to hold a full set, so they get split into 2 binders.

I use the 3 inch binders for mine, because I store my flat, I didn't have the need for the UK binders. They are great if storing upright because they don't allow the pages to bend or fold over id they are filled completely.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to both you guys and Brent those labels are great.

FYI--In it's 1959 Rookie Banquet program ( the first such one) Topps included a mock up of a McCovey card ( Same photo as his 1960 card) in the 1959 format with no rookie designation. But as far as I know there were no actual proofs of it made.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Nice!

Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow congratulations on finishing.

That's a super looking Mantle - can't believe it's just a 4.

Also to Ralph - great set and a great guy...

You too Mark.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinPitcher said:
    Nice!

Hiya Steve!

Glad to see you off of the sidelines.

Mike
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Yes, it is "nice" to see Steve again

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Brent described much better than I would have why I use two binders per set.

Thanks Mike!

"Molon Labe"