Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern Collecting for Vintage Collectors (buying and selling)

I primarily collect 50's cards and have a 79 set I'm trying to get every card autographed. That being said, I enjoy following modern cards that are hot. Right now Aaron Judge is on fire. Last year I kept my eye on Trevor Story through out the season. But I never have tried to buy cards to flip and am just curious how you guys do it.

Do any of you seek out individual cards early and flip em later, even years down the road? Possibly just buying up a bunch of prospects and sitting on them to pan out? Do you buy them from shops/eBay and hope for the best, or wait until prices start taking off and jump on them? Do you just rip a ton of boxes and pray? Do you think it's better to just sell them raw or get them graded? Is there a solid way to get "ahead" with newer cards?

All these cards seem to max out and come down at some point (Judge might be a different story because he's a Yankee). I just find modern very intriguing because a guy like Jose Berrios is about to skyrocket (if he hasn't), but all it takes is an injury for value to pummel. I'm just curious how modern collectors do it/how much patience it takes since it's basically a stock market. Not sure if it's something I really want to get into, but if I were to give it a go as a side thing, I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

Any thoughts/strategies/ideas is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

98.7 percent of new cards go down in value as the years go by. Only way to make money on new cards is to flip asap. If you hold on to a hot card you are going to lose.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

80% of my cards are vintage but I do like newer ones now and then. I usually stay away from prospects and will pay a little more later when they prove themselves. I do like Aaron Judge though and have bought a few of his cards cheap at the beginning of the season. I don't plan on selling them though because even if he falls I like to go through and look at the cards that were hot at one point. (I have all of Kevin Maas's cards still.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I think prospecting is a gamble but you can increase your odds too. Research and luck both help.