Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Heritage Auction in combination with a Dutch auctioneer Today

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came across this auction in Holland

https://mpoauctions.com/en/search?q=canada&x=0&y=0

it is one of the worst auction description I have ever seen done by Heritage.
or one of their affiliates. I searched for Canada coins.
the images are some of the worst I have seen and are of page lots, not by coins and the descriptions are extremely poor.
they show one or 2 pages which, when enlarged, show basically only the silhouettes of 20 coins with dates barely visible, never mind details. in the description all in Dutch, it says 2 Albums (if google translates it correctly) their language signs only translate the auction conditions and details, not the auction items.
How do they expect to get NA-bidders?
Makes me wonder if it is actually THE Heritage (HA.com) or if it is some other firm riding on the HA name?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is weird. Looking at the link to the mpo/Heritage Europe auction via SixBid gives a different result/different lot numbers even.
    https://sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=3637&category=83382&page=3

You can click and see the sale information on the left. What is showing up on your link looks to be the 'lots' items only... where they don't do the individual descriptions. I wonder if it's a foible of the search function/website functionality. I saw some Japanese lots that looked reasonable for bidding when I hunted through the sixbid portal.

In any case, it does appear to be a valid Heritage Europe partnership.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

The Heritage / MPO relationship is real, see https://ha.com/heritage-auctions-europe-office.s?type=surl-europe

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not familiar with MPO Auctions until this post. They really don't have a great online catalog, but they sure do have a lot of offerings. The quality of the catalog makes you wonder if there will be some relative deals on lots that don't get seen by a wide audience.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    I was not familiar with MPO Auctions until this post. They really don't have a great online catalog, but they sure do have a lot of offerings. The quality of the catalog makes you wonder if there will be some relative deals on lots that don't get seen by a wide audience.

I doubt it. Start prices seem high for what is pictured plus 23% juice.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene, you are so right.
    perhaps they are just trying to get "their feet wet" in the auction business.
    A cooperation with HA could help a long way.
    But then I have to question why HA , in their wisdom, would link up with someone of a lower caliper considering there are other "biggies" in Europe who are on their own and most likely would welcome such a arrangement..

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I went through my sixbid stuff and I realized I had actually won something from them before (I'd read my old bidsheets incorrectly and didn't notice it when you first posted).

Now that my memory was jogged, the invoice arrived quickly, in English, with clear payment instructions via wire/cc/paypal. Shipping is a mildly appalling 30 euro but IIRC it was delivered in 48 hours by FedEx. If I had bought more coins then it wouldn't have been so painful :smiley:

This was the auction photo/listing on sixbid:

the zoom shot:

And my shot after arrival:

Not quite the photo or zoom function that Heritage does, but satisfactory. I did not try to bid live, but just did a pre-bid via Sixbid. The final price was several bid increments below my maximum.

I just ended up with a lot from the current auction...will post when it arrives (another cool bean money).

• Options

I won one of the lots I bid on. Not for my max bid, and lost the other one. I had an invoice within 48 hours and it would have been here Friday via Fedex (30 euro) except some cut off was missed, and they had selected weekday only delivery. It was well packaged so though the box was a bit crumpled the lot was super well protected. Easy communication (in English) and paid via PayPal. Other CC and wire transfer also options.

Their listing via sixbid:

and what I just took in my basement (with their ticket)

The only slightly/possibly sketchy part was the flip the coin was secured in was obviously pvc. Soft and pliable for travel but I have no idea how long it was in the evil flip. Gave it an immediate acetone bath. Really not even sure to call that sketchy as it wasn't a bad idea for travel purposes. And honestly, everything of any importance gets acetone'd on arrival if it's not in a slab.

Funny my (so far) two favorite pieces of bean money have come from Europe! This one is much bigger at 10+grams (I forgot to measure the mm, but 10 g is a good size) and extremely well centered.