Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2011 Topps Update print run

Anyone know what the print run numbers of 2011 Topps Update were supposed to be?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I think they're still printing them. Lol

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

shouldn't be more then 50K of each

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I have no actual data for you aside from my own observations. I buy packs at the big retailers all the time (Target, Wally, Kmart, etc.) and have for 30+ years (I know - not wise, but it scratches the itch). 2011 Update came and went VERY fast. There are some stores I frequent where one could find product that was 2-3 years old still on the shelves. Not the case with 2011 update. Wish I bought everything I saw...

Trout may hit 50 HR this year.

• Options

Thanks for the responses.

50K(if that's right) still seems like a not-so-limited number.

Still doesn't explain to me why everyone is asking 2x to 5x what any price guide lists the Trout for. I don't collect current players, but had identified two or three I thought might still be collectable ten years from now and looked up their RC cards. Then I saw the asking prices(not lists prices in beckett or SMR, those were more reasonable - asking prices) and shook my head. I was considering an "investment" in the card at $100 or so if it was limited, but I'm not wasting big money on a modern card(that they could just run more copies of like they allegedly did in the 90's) of a current player to have his career fizzle out, find out he's on juice or beats up his wife in a couple years. Its bizarre people would pay such a price(if they really are, I'm skeptical of most things out there) for a massed produced card of a guy who could "fall of the face of the earth" tomorrow. I get that he's the hot guy now, and looks like Mantle without the physical problems, but ten years from now, are his cards going to be priced like, say, Albert Pujols(who was probably the best player of his era)? That's what I would expect, and that's going to be bad news for anyone who "invested" in his cards.

I tell ya, I miss the days when you knew what to expect to pay for a card and anyone asking "twice book" was laughed at(and I am actually having a hard time remembering anyone ever asking significantly above list prices; oh well).

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

BV went out the door when Ebay became popular 15-20 years ago and is hardly used anymore. Don't go by asking price either, people can ask anything....and often do. If you want to see a cards real time value, look at ebay completed sales and see what they are actually selling for.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I have a buddy that went all in on Trout about 4 years ago. He bought a shiny limited RC refractor card that was autographed for about $1,000. Crazy right? At the time, I told him there was no upside as Trout was already at peak prices with the hype and even if/when he makes the HOF, there isn't much room left for growth. Boy was I wrong. That card is currently selling for double what he paid. So take what I am about to say next with a grain of salt - I think Trout is at peak prices now and there isn't much room left for growth :)

On a side note, I happen to live in So Cal. There are two surviving card shops that I frequent. The owners talk about how they can't keep ANY trout cards on the shelves and they price at more than "book." Amazing.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in May,2014 I was fortunate to be at one of my local Walmart's when the merchandiser was unpacking a bargain bin box headed for the shelf. Had all different sports/non-sports. There were 9 update jumbo packs in there at $2.98 plus tax. Was able to buy all of them. But there were no more to be had. Was happy though with what I found. Not bad for $29.00 inc. tax. Still have them packed away. Will not be opening them. Also picked up a few "Kiss" factory sets on the cheap.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Jimmy_CommonpantsJimmy_Commonpants Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

And here's another one...

2000 Topps Traded Miguel Cabrera. A guy says he has 18 of them and wants $160 each! Others are offered from $175 to $300. Its a $50 card!! WTF am I missing here? Nobody is paying that. There's just no way. Is this all about trying to swindle gullible international buyers who are on different exchange rates and don't understand the US sports collectibles market? I understand there is a big market in Europe for "American collectibles" of all types and I know Asia went crazy over US basketball. I can't think of any other possibility. Nobody - not Beckett, not PSA, CCD - nobody lists these cards as selling for these prices. Nobody with a lick of sense could be paying 5x list prices knowing the history of this market. Its real depressing.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2017 8:53AM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    And here's another one...

2000 Topps Traded Miguel Cabrera. A guy says he has 18 of them and wants $160 each! Others are offered from $175 to $300. Its a $50 card!! WTF am I missing here? Nobody is paying that. There's just no way. Is this all about trying to swindle gullible international buyers who are on different exchange rates and don't understand the US sports collectibles market? I understand there is a big market in Europe for "American collectibles" of all types and I know Asia went crazy over US basketball. I can't think of any other possibility. Nobody - not Beckett, not PSA, CCD - nobody lists these cards as selling for these prices. Nobody with a lick of sense could be paying 5x list prices knowing the history of this market. Its real depressing.

That hasnt been a $50 card in a long time. They consistently go for $100-130 usually.

The chrome ones have been going up even more. They are going for $350-450ish lately. The chrome ones are also much tougher to get in PSA 10 though due to a surface that scratches and shows flaws more.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)