Home Q & A Forum
Options

Counterfeit Seated Dollars

newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at this coin for hours and cannot find anything to say its fake,am I missing something?
The weight and measurement are spot on,

this thing has to be fake for what I paid for it

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2017 2:38AM

1) Color is wrong, the coin is much too white.
    2) Stars 9-13 are the wrong shape (go to photograde: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/SeatedDol/Grades), even low grade examples have better defined stars.
    3) Date looks wrong, numerals appear to blend into the field, they're too big, and the seven extends below the four.
    4) Dentils on reverse between 3 and 5 o'clock merge together.
    5) Lettering/font is wrong, look at "ONE DOL." on reverse and compare with real one (https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/dollars/liberty-seated-dollars-major-sets/liberty-seated-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1840-1873/alltimeset/3772).

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve27 said:
    1) Color is wrong, the coin is much too white.
    2) Stars 9-13 are the wrong shape (go to photograde: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/SeatedDol/Grades), even low grade examples have better defined stars.
    3) Date looks wrong, numerals appear to blend into the field, they're too big, and the seven extends below the four.
    4) Dentils on reverse between 3 and 5 o'clock merge together.
    5) Lettering/font is wrong, look at "ONE DOL." on reverse and compare with real one (https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/dollars/liberty-seated-dollars-major-sets/liberty-seated-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1840-1873/alltimeset/3772).

Thanks!

I needed that.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Beware when buying raw seated dollars.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

Have you tried the magnet test???...On top of that, due to the wear and tear on the coin, if it was
    a fake, there would be a few shades different in color on the high points.... What is strange to
    me is how the tallons on the eagle are pointy sharp, the lines in the shield are clearly visible.
    the eye of the eagle is like one would find in an MS 63 grading ( of AU )and yet the word liberty
    is just about worn away..... It has definatly been cleaned due to the dirt still in the lettering
    and the milled edging... One side ( reverse ) is lovely but the obverse ( dated side ) has too
    much wearing. If it was me, i would let this coin slide as i personally would not be happy
    with what i would receive. Just remember it is better to pay a bit more and be happy in your
    heart knowing you have something resalable in the future than to simply go for a cheap price
    and find out later that ( as we say in australia ) you have possibly been taken for a ride.
    The decission will be yours in the longrun but i would treat this like i treat my ex wife...
    Dont make all of us in here say, we told you so... OIO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oz_in_ohio said:
    Have you tried the magnet test???...On top of that, due to the wear and tear on the coin, if it was
    a fake, there would be a few shades different in color on the high points.... What is strange to
    me is how the tallons on the eagle are pointy sharp, the lines in the shield are clearly visible.
    the eye of the eagle is like one would find in an MS 63 grading ( of AU )and yet the word liberty
    is just about worn away..... It has definatly been cleaned due to the dirt still in the lettering
    and the milled edging... One side ( reverse ) is lovely but the obverse ( dated side ) has too
    much wearing. If it was me, i would let this coin slide as i personally would not be happy
    with what i would receive. Just remember it is better to pay a bit more and be happy in your
    heart knowing you have something resalable in the future than to simply go for a cheap price
    and find out later that ( as we say in australia ) you have possibly been taken for a ride.
    The decission will be yours in the longrun but i would treat this like i treat my ex wife...
    Dont make all of us in here say, we told you so... OIO

Welcome to CU. This is a fairly recent fake. The magnet test you suggest is only useful to folks who don't know much about coin authentication because fakes that are attracted to a magnet are not very deceptive to those who know what a genuine coin looks like. Your suggestion that counterfeits have different colors on their relief is not true unless they have some wear (just as the color changes with wear on a genuine coin).

Go back and read the first two answers that identified the coin as a fake. Then print out a copy of the coin and go to the Heritage website and find a genuine coin of the same date in Unc.. By comparing the images you should see many differences.

I like your suggestion about paying a little more and ONLY BUY SLABBED COINS until a collector learns to grade.

Best Regards Mate (did I write that correctly?) LOL

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2017 12:30PM

Sure did. Here is another ol'Aussie saying: " You can lead a horse to water; but he better be thirsty or he won't drink." :smiley: ..