Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient help with Identification and Price

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2017 7:43PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I received this coin in a collection of U.S. I bought several years ago. Can you identify the coin and give me an estimate of what it would sell for? Thanks, Mike Dixon

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't put my finger on my Roman books, but this appears to be the emperor Maximian (286-305). Maximian was the partner of the emperor Diocletian; Diocletian was the brains of the operation, Maximian was more the brawn. When Diocletian wanted the pair to retire in the year 305 in favor of the two younger Men in the Tetrarchy, Maximian wasn't too keen on the idea and it eventually led to his forced suicide a few years later. The "X" in the name 'Maximinus' helps you to pick out his name from the jumble of letters on the obverse of the coin. I think you have a pretty strong piece there, considering that it is over 1700 years old.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a Billon Follis of Roman Emporor Maximinus II. He reigned from AD311 to AD313. it appears to be an example of Spink 14852.

According to my copy of "Roman Coins and Their Values, Volume IV" from 2011, value ranges from $20 in VF, to $65 in EF.

Steve

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com