Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can someone please help and identify these coins? oriental?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

today I purchased a small collection of Canadian Silver Dollars. with it came the usual ("junk") box all sort of stuff.
included were these 3 coins pictured below. I tried Numista to identify them, but had no success .
Can someone please help?
thanks everyone.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin "C" appears to be Syrian Arab Republic, denomination is "50" something (probably piastres). Not found in the Standard Catalog of World Coins, oddly.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

B appears to be a cash coin from the Jia Qing emperor, 1796 to 1821.
    A is a Korean cash coin, but I am not familiar with that series.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2017 7:44AM

thank you Bill and Harasha,
    thanks to your tips, I was able to locate all 3 coins using Numista.
    It still took a bit of detective work, but the result is good.

Coin A is a Korean coin, 100 Mun coin from 1866-1867 and, I am surprised, worth a few bucks in the condition it is in.
    Coin B is China Empire 1796-1820, 1 Cash coin. jia quing -boo yuwan
    Coin C is from Lybia, 50 Dirhams 1975.

• Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭

Coin B looks like Hartill H22.446. Thick rims, square head on the tong (character on the left in your scan, right side photo) other varieties have closed triangular heads. Mint is the South branch of the Board of Revenue.

Coin A; from Edgar Mandel's Cast Coinage of Korea: Appears to be M13.91.0, Sang P'Yong Tong Bao. The character HO "box with a swoop to the left, and a dot on top (my words- no offense to Korean readers" is the character "hojo" for the Treasury Department mint. The character PAEK "rectangle with a small T on top, and dash inside", is for hundred, or value one hundred. His price list lists it for $1-2 (book published 1972), so I am guessing it's pretty common. But Korean cash is a funky market; I don't see a lot of collectors and I don't see a lot of listings for it.

Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Hartill lists the Korean 100 Mun as common, $10-$25. I doubt you could buy a real example for less than $25.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBreeze great detective work, thanks for sharing as I have a similar one as C and this sure helped narrow it down.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Thank you all , great info
    Might try to list on the bay.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Thank you all , great info
    Might try to list on the bay.

Great research work, I have only seen the first or a look alike :) in the past.
    Interesting thing to notice between A and B is the following:
    If you rotate coin B's right pic, you will notice that the two of the four symbols adjacent to the "window"(right and left) are practically the same with coin A's right picture oriented as is!

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Generally speaking, a great deal of cash-type (square holed coins from Asia) coins have those two characters. It basically says its the currency of the realm, so to speak.